Spelljammer Spelljammer's Astral Dreadnought & Adult Solar Dragon

In October of this year, WizKids will be launching two big miniatures, both linked to the upcoming Spelljammer setting -- the Astral Dreadnought and the Adult Solar Dragon. The Astral Dreadnought will be $249.99. The creature lives on the Astral Plane, and is the size of a large dragon. The Adult Solar Dragon is featured on the cover of the Light of Xaryxis adventure; this mini will be $109.99.

In October of this year, WizKids will be launching two big miniatures, both linked to the upcoming Spelljammer setting -- the Astral Dreadnought and the Adult Solar Dragon.

The Astral Dreadnought will be $249.99. The creature lives on the Astral Plane, and is the size of a large dragon.

The Adult Solar Dragon is featured on the cover of the Light of Xaryxis adventure; this mini will be $109.99.

solar_dragon.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 1.54.26 PM.png

I am really surprised, because they are expensive, but Wizkids wouldn't sell it if nobody was going to buy it. Maybe it is because in my land our adquisitive level is lower.

WizKids recently jacked up the prices on all their D&D minis. Like, way, way up—for many of the products the price points have nearly doubled in the past year.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
$250? I wonder how many they'll sell. On the one hand, the Astral Dreadnought seems like a really niche product. On the other, it was on the cover of the original Manual of the Planes, so maybe some folks would get it for the nostalgia?
They sold plenty of the big ship, and it was similarly priced. Hell, that doesn’t really seem that high, to me. More than I’ll spend for a mini that Id rarely use, but I get why others will buy it.

WizKids recently jacked up the prices on all their D&D minis. Like, way, way up—for many of the products the price points have nearly doubled in the past year.
And yet it seems folks are buying it! At one of my LGSes, I noted recently that they replaced a ton of boardgame shelf space since Christmas with more WizKids minis—they’ve got almost a full aisle of it now. The gargantuan minis and the terrain pieces and box sets seem to be proliferating, plus now there so many different lines (D&D Nolzur’s, D&D Icons, D&D random minis, Pathfinder Deep Cuts, Magic the Gathering, Critical Role, and they’ve still got WizKid’s Star Trek stuff too—I’m sure I’m missing several product lines here).

Must be an indication of how hot D&D (and D&D-adjacent) is right now, because apparently people are buying tons of this stuff.

That gargantuan Tiamat looks pretty dope, but not for $450 CAD for something I’ll use probably once. It would have to be an art piece more than a game piece.

Remove ads

Remove ads