Spelljammer Spelljammer's Astral Dreadnought & Adult Solar Dragon

In October of this year, WizKids will be launching two big miniatures, both linked to the upcoming Spelljammer setting -- the Astral Dreadnought and the Adult Solar Dragon. The Astral Dreadnought will be $249.99. The creature lives on the Astral Plane, and is the size of a large dragon. The Adult Solar Dragon is featured on the cover of the Light of Xaryxis adventure; this mini will be $109.99.

In October of this year, WizKids will be launching two big miniatures, both linked to the upcoming Spelljammer setting -- the Astral Dreadnought and the Adult Solar Dragon.

The Astral Dreadnought will be $249.99. The creature lives on the Astral Plane, and is the size of a large dragon.

The Adult Solar Dragon is featured on the cover of the Light of Xaryxis adventure; this mini will be $109.99.

solar_dragon.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 1.54.26 PM.png

I really don't think that fully accounts for it. The price of other toys didn't double/triple in the same time. The gargantuan dragons went from $30 (a little pricy for a toob figure, but whatevs) to $90! Look at high end collectibles like Sideshow or Gentle Giant. Prices have remained static. Wizkids went from cheap mediocre minis to really expensive mediocre minis. It's bad when you make GW look reasonable.
Yes, all toys have gone up. Some more than others. And some have, literally, doubled. I haven’t personally seen any triple. At least not in the last 2 years.

Von Ether

Legend
I think WK is pricing for the internet consumer who is going to buy at a chunky discount anyway.

And WK's do have a whole line of luxury buyers who spend more than that on head "trophies" and life-sized goblins. We know there are now some D&D man-caves out there in Hollywood (and in the Midwest where your lawyer's/accountant's salary goes further.)

And I could see game stores owners buying just one at wholesale either for their own games (it's good to be the king!) or as a conversation piece/loaner.

I still don't see it being a gangbusters product, but I think it has a wider audience than just Joe d20.

jgsugden

Legend
I agree. However, our price expectations aren’t caught up to the current reality anymore.
You're missing an element here, I think. There are costs to produce as a factor, but willingness to buy at a price is eqully important.

If things become too expensive to produce at a price people are willing to pay, then making them is a bad call.

Further, Schleich, EOIVSH and Safari Ltd are selling similarly sized and nearly as detailed figures for prices between $15 and $30. I'd be fine buying a Battle Crab with Weapon Schleich figure and then fabricating a lengthy tail for it and using it if it saved me $200.

teitan

Legend
I paid $40 for the jumbo Rita Repulsa who does nothing but menace All Might and Uravity on my shelf, so...

Also, inflation and the price of shipping and materials.
That’s not inflation. It’s gouging. Inflation is 20% since 2014, not 100%. That includes, overall, shipping cost increased.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I agree. However, our price expectations aren’t caught up to the current reality anymore.

Oh, it isn't about catching up to the reality of prices. It is about entertainment bang for the buck - the books are a great buy in that sense, but the mini is certainly not nearly so cost effective in its role as a mini.

Oh, it isn't about catching up to the reality of prices. It is about entertainment bang for the buck - the books are a great buy in that sense, but the mini is certainly not nearly so cost effective in its role as a mini.
Too true. Personally, I used to have tons of the old WotC D&D minis, but realized it’s never really enough—you never have exactly the right number of goblins with the right weapons, nor exactly the right dragon, unless you keep buying more… forever. Not to mention the storage space! These days, if I need minis, I’ll use tokens, meeples, standees, pawns; unlimited variation for nil cost.

You're missing an element here, I think. There are costs to produce as a factor, but willingness to buy at a price is eqully important.

If things become too expensive to produce at a price people are willing to pay, then making them is a bad call.

Further, Schleich, EOIVSH and Safari Ltd are selling similarly sized and nearly as detailed figures for prices between $15 and $30. I'd be fine buying a Battle Crab with Weapon Schleich figure and then fabricating a lengthy tail for it and using it if it saved me $200.
Yep, fair enough! I suppose a huge part of WizKid’s price should be attributed to “you’re paying for the brand name”. Lots of dragon and demon sculptures and toys available out there, but we’re asked to pay a premium so it looks exactly right.

teitan

Legend
Too true. Personally, I used to have tons of the old WotC D&D minis, but realized it’s never really enough—you never have exactly the right number of goblins with the right weapons, nor exactly the right dragon, unless you keep buying more… forever. Not to mention the storage space! These days, if I need minis, I’ll use tokens, meeples, standees, pawns; unlimited variation for nil cost.

Yep, fair enough! I suppose a huge part of WizKid’s price should be attributed to “you’re paying for the brand name”. Lots of dragon and demon sculptures and toys available out there, but we’re asked to pay a premium so it looks exactly right.
We are being asked to pay a premium that makes Games Workshop blush!

TheSword

Legend
We are being asked to pay a premium that makes Games Workshop blush!
I agree. At least for GW you get something you use over and over again, plus the entertainment of building and painting it. GW kits are usually customizable so you’re making something personal to you.

You’re paying here for something that is a novelty collectors item. It has no where near that utilitarian value, it’s a status symbol.

Remove ads

Remove ads