Unearthed Arcana Spells & Magic Tattoos: New Unearthed Arcana

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana called Spells & Magic Tattoos. "This document provides a magical miscellany: new spells and a new type of magic item, magic tattoos. Most of the spells focus on an alternative style of summoning: conjuring forth a spirit that assumes a physical form you customize to suit the situation."

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana called Spells & Magic Tattoos. "This document provides a magical miscellany: new spells and a new type of magic item, magic tattoos. Most of the spells focus on an alternative style of summoning: conjuring forth a spirit that assumes a physical form you customize to suit the situation."

Unknown.jpg

So what do races covered in fur or feathers do in lieu of tattoos? Inquiring Aarakocras want to know...
Fur is easy - shave, get the tat, the fur grows back.

Feathers are more problematic, and it would depend on how the DM has decided the tats are obtained. They might rule that the magic ink can be injected into the base of the feathers, or use one of the Variant: Body Modification suggestions.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Ranger magic is nonsense and a hodge podge of random stuff thrown into a badly defined archetype over 30 years.

yeah it's

Druidic Magic but only the plants and animals parts.
but no fey or elemental magic
Except they get elemental weapon magic
just not elementals
plus Argaon's magical healing and mastery of divination
But not Aragorn's Army of the Dead and crystal balls
plus the primary feature of some famous supernatural nature guys in media
but no Tarzan yell
plus water magic
but not desert nor the arctic magic because rangers never go there and they hate sand and snow
and sometimes they punch a wizard and steal a spell or two
"Goth." The word you're looking for is "goth."

Hey. I was trying to be inclusive and include metalhead clerics.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I didn't know that D&D should cater only to you.
Well, it should. :p

Seriously though, it would be nice if they did at least once in a while... But it caters to the 60% rule and we all know it. Fortunately, the game plays fine if you remove things you don't like and many tables remove things as well as add homebrew/houserules. Even with the UA content our table has approved of, none of it has seen game play. We don't even have that much that used to be UA content, but made it into a book (e.g. the Samurai sublcass in XGtE) that has seen play at our table.

I would rather see UA content that I would use and pay for if published in a book than crap like this then I never would. If this stuff makes into a book, I won't buy it and just be disappointed yet again as they appease the 60%.

To me the problem becomes one of buyer's remorse. If 90% of the material in a release is something I don't want, it would suck to shell out 30-50 dollars for the 10% I do.

Maybe they will eventually release a revised and compiled UA book with all the accepted material after playtesting? If they do, hopefully enough of it will be worth buying to more than 60% of us. :)

Remove ads

Remove ads