Unearthed Arcana Spells & Magic Tattoos: New Unearthed Arcana

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana called Spells & Magic Tattoos. "This document provides a magical miscellany: new spells and a new type of magic item, magic tattoos. Most of the spells focus on an alternative style of summoning: conjuring forth a spirit that assumes a physical form you customize to suit the situation."

Unknown.jpg

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Warlocks are given shortcuts to magical power by their patrons, an invocation being a magical stunt that cannot normally be researched and learned like a spell. They are essentially arcane cheat codes.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Elsa is a great example, to me. It wouldn’t be weird at all for her to study how magic works, perhaps seeking out troll sages or whatever, and delving into other forms of magic, drawing on her innate power to fuel whatever she learns.

And using cold magic to fuel fire magic makes all kind of sense.
To you it makes sence, but not to me. I think it would be weird and just have a wrongness about Elsa if she went and learned to throw fireballs around. To each their own though, you prefer a sorcerer with a wide spell base, I prefer one more focused on the bloodline.

Last edited:

Von Ether

Legend
I agree with you about sorcerers. I feel like a storm sorcerer should have spells that are directly related to the storm like wind, lightning, and thunder. I don't limit my players, I have a gold dragon sorcerer with ray of frost for some diversity in damage type, but for the fiction a sorcerer should probably be limited to effects related to their bloodline.

In that I am playing a Storm Sorcerer right now, I found it weird that suddenly I could speak in all for elemental languages but I found out that if I stuck only to Cold, Lightning and Thunder effect spells (thank you Chromatic Orb), my choices seemed super restrictive.

Then I read between the lines that "storm" basically meant any sort of natural disaster/destructive elemental damage like forest fires, tsunamis, and earthquakes.

Either that or the subclass was going to be an elementalist but they had to choose only one (instead of four) special effects and when they settled on the free 10-foot air leap, they named it "storm."

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
In that I am playing a Storm Sorcerer right now, I found it weird that suddenly I could speak in all for elemental languages but I found out that if I stuck only to Cold, Lightning and Thunder effect spells (thank you Chromatic Orb), my choices seemed super restrictive.

Then I read between the lines that "storm" basically meant any sort of natural disaster/destructive elemental damage like forest fires, tsunamis, and earthquakes.

Either that or the subclass was going to be an elementalist but they had to choose only one (instead of four) special effects and when they settled on the free 10-foot air leap, they named it "storm."
I don't think the subclass was ever going to be a general elementalist. It really is just related to air and storms, the designers have released the other 3 elements as playtest material but they didn't make it into a book (and from memory it looked to me that the stone sorcerer had little to do with earth and stone).

I find that with the storm sorcerer that there are plenty of on theme spells for them, at least at early levels. I haven't looked too hard at higher level spells and I do think that there could be more cantrips, like a ranged lightning cantrip, for them.

NotAYakk

Legend
That level 1 acid spell is actually a nice sorcerer-only spell.

I think a bunch of elemental spells that scale reasonably would help make more varieties of sorcerer playable.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases