D&D 5E Spells you house rule?

The problem with shield is that it isn’t a problem until it’s used. How do you justify not attacking the Paladin when the base AC is similar to other characters but they can cast shield when needed.

Shield cant be cast with hands full so it's less of a Problem with most Paladins firstly need access to it, want to burn slots on both it (and smites) and often use shields.

it is only 'too late' if the DM chooses to say so... it is perfectly fine to avoid interrupting and when the bard and dm stop speaking add "I cast guidance"

But the test of skill occurred when the Bard was saying the thing that lead to the Persuasion check.

Example:

DM: As you approach the tower of Tharizdun, you spot two clearly bored Orc sentries. They look up at you and snort a challenge.
Bard Player: As they do so I step forward, hold out the Symbol of the Elemental Eye and boldly say: We're here at the request of your master. Stand aside or be punished for your insolence!'
DM: (pauses to think of a DC for the lie/ threat); OK, make me an Intimidate check.

From that moment, I'm not allowing the Help action, (unless another player can chime in with something that is likely to help the Bard in his lie/ threat at this point) or the casting of Guidance, because the thing I'm asking for the check for has already happened.

I don't see how that can be.

Guidance effects an ability check of your choice. You can't choose to use a passive check. It just happens. In fact, they often happen without players ever knowing, if they fail.

A passive check is still an ability check.

Here’s how to determine a character’s total for a passive check:
10 + all modifiers that normally apply to the check

Roll20

It can add the +1d4 (a modifier that applies to the base skill check) to the result for mine.

Azuresun

Adventurer
The save repeats on Hypnotic Pattern. Keeps it as a good CC spell, but reduces unheroic "huddle round helpless foes one at a time" fight conclusions.

Owls don't have Flyby Attack, as an indirect change to Find Familiar. Striking a blow for familiar diversity in a way that feels more fair than just having goblins with shortbows pop up everywhere.

Tiny Hut is banned in my current game. For others, I'd simply have it provide protection against natural weather and concealment, but doesn't give you Wall Of Force Plus. And probably not let it be a ritual. If it worked like it did during the game, invulnerable bunkers would be a key feature of fantasy warfare.

Heat Metal allows a repeating CON save if it targets something the enemy can't drop (no save for a held item). Would be nice to actually be able to use major antagonists who wear metal armour, you know?

Ones I'm considering for the future:

The damage of Fireball is dropped to 7d6 or 6d6, so it's less of a "well duh" choice, and doesn't eclipse every damage spell of level 2, 3, 4 or sometimes 5. Lightning Bolt is one die higher, to reflect the fact that it's much harder to catch a group with it.

Forcecage allows a Dex save to get out the area when cast.

Polymorph is split into two spells, one to turn enemies into harmless creatures, and one to transform allies. And maybe remove some go-to forms like Giant Ape.

TheSword

Legend
Shield cant be cast with hands full so it's less of a Problem with most Paladins firstly need access to it, want to burn slots on both it (and smites) and often use shields.
Warcaster makes this too easy to get round and dealing 9 points of damage to the enemy is less powerful than avoiding 9 points of damage to you.

Remove ads