• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Spending gold

Stalker0

Legend
And yet, my players have no interest in this at all. So I don't know that it is "important".....

And this is why its such a good candidate for a crunch heavy, "optional" book. Its a crunchy addition, and as you said certainly not something that everyone would need, so adding it doesn't "impose" anything on other players.

Now of course, polls will determine how "important" this is to the fanbase, but it is a solid solution to the gold problem.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Regarding equipment level & quality, what are folks' opinions on enchantment mechanisms, similar to Skyrim or Diablo.

Spending gold & time to give a blade fire damage, or armor fire resistance - that sort of thing. You could swap the enchantment at different points if you know that you'll need certain protections.

Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with it. I love the idea of being able to customize my equipment, but I find the min/max aspect tedious and it leads to hoarding armor & weapons, just in case.

However, it is a good way to get players to spend gold.
rofl... the magic item crafting in 3.5 had a lot of similarities to those two. When people talk about bringing back magic item crafting there tends to be a good bit of commonality to the talk.

CapnZapp

Legend
The sad part is that "the gold problem" only exists because WotC decided to create it.

That is, the solution isn't so much "solid" as "obvious", as in "compared to 3E, the obvious hole in the 5E rules is the lack of rational item pricing".

Asisreo

Patron Badass
The sad part is that "the gold problem" only exists because WotC decided to create it.

That is, the solution isn't so much "solid" as "obvious", as in "compared to 3E, the obvious hole in the 5E rules is the lack of rational item pricing".
I don't think rational item pricing is even possible without a fully functioning economy, which would be on the DM's burden no matter how in-depth they tried to make it.

Now, there's a few ways you can have coins be different. In the DMG, an example is given that a coin in waterdeep is worth 50gp inside the city but only 30gp elsewhere, which is a start to the economy.

The problem is: what's stopping a player to go somewhere else and buy a waterdeep coin for 30 and use it as 50 inside waterdeep?

It requires common sense that it's worth less not because of rarity but because it isn't as much of a verifies currency and it's value relies on a security that other locations can't trust as much..

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I don't think rational item pricing is even possible without a fully functioning economy, which would be on the DM's burden no matter how in-depth they tried to make it.

Now, there's a few ways you can have coins be different. In the DMG, an example is given that a coin in waterdeep is worth 50gp inside the city but only 30gp elsewhere, which is a start to the economy.

The problem is: what's stopping a player to go somewhere else and buy a waterdeep coin for 30 and use it as 50 inside waterdeep?

It requires common sense that it's worth less not because of rarity but because it isn't as much of a verifies currency and it's value relies on a security that other locations can't trust as much..
No it's not that simple. if you look at the gold cost for components in spells that require $thing worth x amount gp you run into trouble if the GM tries to create some functining economy because those are listed in gp rather than something like "1 unit of risian snowflakes" where a GM could just look at the rare component chart for costs & make a new one. Those gp values in the spells are still balanced against the old magic item economy that went with the magic item crafting stuff back then. Wotc choosing to cut the magic item crafting stuff & not adjust spell component costs accordingly means that either your players are renting entire castles masquerading as a simple hotel before they even notice the cost of mundane stuff & for various reasons related to 5e's simplifications it's difficult to create a magic item economy without rapid ascent to silly powerful items even more silly than the silly they are replacing

Remove ads