D&D 5E Spending time [Encounter pacing and Resting restrictions]

Sadras

Legend
He was just warned for inserting his game into unrelated discussions over at rpg.net, so I don't think so.

Forgive me, but I'm not understanding you here. My experience with rpg.net is rather limited.
Does RPG not allow you to plug your own content like Enworld does or are they just really strict with thread topics over there? I'm unaware of any infraction he may have caused here/now with this link.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
He was just warned for inserting his game into unrelated discussions over at rpg.net, so I don't think so.

Unfairly warned I say! My response was directly relevant to that opening post! But I dont want to cause any trouble, so I wont be so obvious in the future. If I feel like a mechanic (which happens to have been adopted for LFG) fixes a perceived problem, I dont see why I shouldnt say so/explain why. That's what these kinds of forums are for after all.

nightwind1

Explorer
Forgive me, but I'm not understanding you here. My experience with rpg.net is rather limited.
Does RPG not allow you to plug your own content like Enworld does or are they just really strict with thread topics over there? I'm unaware of any infraction he may have caused here/now with this link.
They have a specific sub-forum for hyping your product.

However, he was coming into threads about different games, then saying "but my game does it this way" and spamming his link.

Tony Vargas

Legend
True, but how often can you risk resting for 1d4 or 1d6 days mid adventure. Pretty rarely ime.
It all depends on the campaign. In a campaign of long journeys, political maneuverings, founding settlements, and fighting wars, weeks between combats might not be unusual. In an intense dungeon-craw, even a short rest (even a 5 or 10 min short rest, let alone an hour) could be hard to pull off.

If all of this is just to make a clarification or widen our understanding or whatever, or even to say story time pressure can still be a thing, I agree.
All that, yes, and that whatever mechanism you come up with to discourage/punish rests will likely be reflected in the story, rather than separate from it.

But if you're saying this to justify the exclusion of any mechanical pressure from the rules, even as an optional tool
Absolutely not - if you can't add optional rules, why even play a game like 5e! ;P Just that, while it might be unthinkable, jettisoning D&D's daily-resource-management baggage might also be an option - whether that comes from heavily re-writing sub-systems to get rid of such resources, or re-balancing to render them less critical - is something worth acknowledging, even if it may not be worth trying...

Unfairly warned I say! My response was directly relevant to that opening post! But I dont want to cause any trouble, so I wont be so obvious in the future. If I feel like a mechanic (which happens to have been adopted for LFG) fixes a perceived problem, I dont see why I shouldnt say so/explain why. That's what these kinds of forums are for after all.
The way I see it, your heartbreaker (no offense) hammers some of the proud nails of D&D, and mentioning a hammer you used in a discussion of one of those nails certainly isn't out of line.
I mean, every perennial problem of D&D is something that some games have solved - usually back in the 80s...

Last edited:

Remove ads