(Spoilers) Explain Game of Thrones to me NOW!

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Tsyr said:

Vader was one of the biggest heros in Return of the Jedi, IMHO. And Vader has killed, directly or indirectly, tons of people.

Wow, see, I would never consider Vader a hero. Just because he suddenly had an impusle to save his son does not make him a hero. Especially considering all the people he directly ordered the death of.

Of course, I think Star Wars are just bad movies- so I am not too sympathetic to the characters. ;)

FD

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Accckkkk Almost read a spoiler

That was close, saw something here I just read earlier this morning. I have 150 pages left. I will discuss and join in the discussion later.

Man that was close.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Spoilers Ahead

First I finished all 3 books, damn. best books I have ever read.

Spoilers Ahead

I don't think Tywin is as bad as he is made out to be. First his father was a wussy Hand of the King and other houses walked all over House Lannister at that time. He had to rebuild his house's name from the ground up. Then his heir Jamie joins the Kingsguard to be near Cerci leaving Tyrion heir to Casterly Rock (sp error). Tyrion is born a stunted dwarf and kills his mother in childbirth leaving Tywin widowed. His grandson inherits the throne and the whole nation goes into civil war. He has had a pretty hard day. He can be an a$$ if he wants to. I am suprised he wasn't more cruel.

As for Jamie becoming on of the heroes, I think he will become hero and die in the end, saving the kingdom. Brienne of Tarth will be his wife also.

My personal favorite character is Varys. I think a few books could be written about him.

Re: Spoilers Ahead

Dagger75 said:
First I finished all 3 books, damn. best books I have ever read.

Spoilers Ahead

I don't think Tywin is as bad as he is made out to be. First his father was a wussy Hand of the King and other houses walked all over House Lannister at that time. He had to rebuild his house's name from the ground up. Then his heir Jamie joins the Kingsguard to be near Cerci leaving Tyrion heir to Casterly Rock (sp error). Tyrion is born a stunted dwarf and kills his mother in childbirth leaving Tywin widowed. His grandson inherits the throne and the whole nation goes into civil war. He has had a pretty hard day. He can be an a$$ if he wants to. I am suprised he wasn't more cruel.

As for Jamie becoming on of the heroes, I think he will become hero and die in the end, saving the kingdom. Brienne of Tarth will be his wife also.

My personal favorite character is Varys. I think a few books could be written about him.

Ummm....there are four books currently in print and if you haven't read "A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold" then you may not realise why Tywin is considered to be pure evil.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Maybe Spoilers

Ummm....there are four books currently in print and if you haven't read "A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold" then you may not realise why Tywin is considered to be pure evil.

Okay, I did not realize this book exsisted. Maybe after I read this I will hate Tywin as you all do :)

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
4th Book

NoOneofConsequence said:

I noticed that you're from Australia but here in the US AFAIK A Song of Ice and Fire is 3 books:

A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords

Also in the Legends series edited by Robert Silverberg GRRM has a short story entitled The Hedge Knight or THK.

The next novel due out is A Feast for Crows with a tenitive date of April 28, 2003 here in the US but GRRM has said on his website that he doesn't know when it will be out (but I haven't been to the site in over a month now so that could have changed).

There is another Legends series due out and GRRM is supposed to have another Dunk and Egg story (read THK you'll understand) entitled The Sworn Sword.

It's possible that what we have here in the US as A Storm of Swords has been divided in Australia into 2 books one of which you have named A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold but I haven't seen nor heard of that one and I work in a book store. Maybe you have something that just isn't avalible in the states, who knows? What are the names of your 4 books?

Oh, and IMO Tywin got off too easy. :D

I think you might be right - in Australia "A Storm of Swords" has been published in two parts - go figure.

Anyway, it's at the end of of part two that Tywin buys the farm (toilet?).

Which begs the question, if you know about the final confrontation between Tyrion and Tywin, then you know that Tywin had Tyrion's first marriage destroyed and his wife pack raped just because she was too "low-born". The man was an honourless dog!

I cannot see how his actions can be defended.

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
NoOneofConsequence said:
I cannot see how his actions can be defended.

(Minor Spoiler)

I agree. I don't care if he ran the kingdom under Aerys II well. I remember the passage where Stannis says that he and Robert were brought to court when they were children and taken to the Throne Room and brought before the "king". Stannis said that he always thought that was how a king should look like, only to find out later that the person they saw on the throne was the Hand of the King- Tywin Lannister.

Well at least we confirmed that Tywin doens't :eek::eek::eek::eek: gold as everyone thought. Thanks Tyrion! :D

Last edited:

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I just finished reading the three published books in the series a couple of weeks ago. While I don't think they're anywhere near the best thing I've ever read, they do make for some damn fine entertainment. I love the comparison of reading them to a car wreck -- that's pretty spot-on.

And the Red Wedding gave me nightmares. I wanted to finish one more chapter before bed -- guess which chapter it was?

Damn GRRM!

I honestly don't think the characters are especially well-done. They're adequate, but not as evocative as characters in other books that I like lots. However, I kinda think it makes sense to see the main characters of the book as the various Houses. House Lannister and House Stark are the books' two main characters.

Daniel

Tsyr

Explorer
I find Bran and Arya (SP?) to be the two characters I consider the best... I like Jon, and Tyrion is probably my favorite character in the book, but both of those are pretty much sterotypical characters.

Thalos of Myr and the knight that serves him make for a pretty interesting duo though.

Remove ads