(Spoilers) Explain Game of Thrones to me NOW!

Fade

First Post
I think the best description I've heard is from someone on the RPG.net forums:

"I'm really enjoying the Song of Ice and Fire novels, if 'enjoy' is the right word for a series that feels like the couple of seconds where the car is spinning out of control right before you plow into a tree."

Not without flaws, but really worth reading - I've read the entire series as published currently. Parts of it are really unsatisfying, but the characterisation is nearly unparalleled.

Read it for sure; it certainly escapes Sturgeon's "90%" rule.

Storminator

First Post
Just out of curosity Noone, what parts did you find unsatisfying? I realise we're about to head to SPOILER territory, so be forewarned!

PS

What I found unsatisfying (spoilers)

Some of the descriptive in the first book was a bit confused I felt - nothing terrible, just not on par with the scope of the series.

The wall - it's seven hundred feet high. Given the low-magic feel of the world, this just seems too much for me. I mean, that's almost seventy stories high - aiming from on top of it when shooting a bow would be pointless, I doubt one could predict the wind.

MAJOR SPOILER

Joffrey's death was way too quick and easy. I spent four books longing for the kid to get his comeuppance and it all happens so fast and with not enough resolution. Admittedly, his death does fit with the story very well, I just wanted some more epic vengeance.

Also, I was totally blown away by the treachery of the Freys. I want them dead. I want their whole family dead! I want their towers burnt to the ground! I want the earth sewn with salt! Vengeance I cry....blood...blood....BLOOOD!

(Ahem)
That'll do for now.;)

Eosin the Red

First Post
SPOILER BELOW

Also, I was totally blown away by the treachery of the Freys. I want them dead. I want their whole family dead! I want their towers burnt to the ground! I want the earth sewn with salt! Vengeance I cry....blood...blood....BLOOOD!

Yep - I will read the section where Walter gets his several times. It better be good. It better be as good as Daddy Lannister.

Tsyr

Explorer
Aw heck, we've had spoilers already, why not join in?

SPOILERS

Actualy, I sorta felt sorry for Tywin Lannister... Yes, he was a bit more... unpleasent... than Eddard or Robert, and yes, he was needlessly cruel to Tyrion... But he was, really, a man of his time and place. The only thing that saved that scene was that it was Tyrion who did it... I don't think I would have enjoyed it so much if it was, oh... Arya, or something. Tyrion was the only person who I felt had direct quarrel with Tywin... the Starks, for example, have plenty of cause to hate Jeremy, Cersi, and Joffrey... But really Tywin had done nothing to them.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Re: What I found unsatisfying (spoilers)

To continue the tradition of SPOILERS!

NoOneofConsequence said:

The wall - it's seven hundred feet high. Given the low-magic feel of the world, this just seems too much for me.

I believe the tower was built when magic was still very active in the world.

Remember- it is not a low magic world. It is a low magic world at the moment.

FD

Spoiler Warning

From Furn_Darkside: Remember- it is not a low magic world. It is a low magic world at the moment.

Fair point.

And in a similar vein I've got to say that the way in which dragons and dragon eggs are handled is absolutely top notch.

Tywin Lannister - what a bastard. Sure Eddard Stark was a ruthless man when he had to be, but at least he was honourable. Tywin refuses to allow his son to inherit because he's a dwarf but still expects him to honour his house and name and make sacrifices on behalf of the Lannisters. And he shacks up with the same whore that he curses his son for sleeping with.

Man I felt for Tyrion.

Last edited:

Tsyr

Explorer
Yes, he was a bastard. But had he done anything that REALLY warented what Tyrion did to him?

I would have said no, untill I remembered what Jamie revealed to Tyrion about his first wife.

Remove ads