(Spoilers) Explain Game of Thrones to me NOW!

Actually,

I find the Hound to be my vote for most interesting character.

Petyr Baelish gets my vote for most snivelling, lying weasel that deserves to die.

Speaking of Baelish (and his evil plans) I spent all three books wanting to slap some sense into Sansa. How many times is she going to trust her enemies?

Furn_Darkside

First Post
NoOneofConsequence said:
How many times is she going to trust her enemies?

She is a young girl who has built a fantasy world (handsome prince and all) in her mind, and is not prepared to deal with the harsh world around her- especially when it hits her in the face.

I know a lot of young women who are like that- and end up with in sad situations.

Of course, Sansa starts to wisen up through the third book. I suspect she will become a serious villian by the end.

FD

Tsyr

Explorer
A serious villian?

Hmmm... I must say I don't see it.

Frankly, I keep expecting her to die... The fact is, she lost her wolf, and so much has been made of that fact.

I agree with the other stuff... She built herself a nice, perfect little fantasy life... then it gets cracked time and time again by the realities of life... but every time it's about to fall to peices, someone shows up to repair it (The knight-come-fool, the people who promised to get her out in marrige, etc) just enough to withstand more beat down.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Tsyr said:
A serious villian?

Hmmm... I must say I don't see it.

How many events in the book can you predict? ;)

I think Baelish is going to succeed in twisting her- or she is going to beat him at his own manipulative game and become just like him.

I have no real reason to believe this might happen- other then it is the total opposite of what it looks like might happen.

FD

Storminator

First Post
Furn_Darkside said:

How many events in the book can you predict? ;)

I think Baelish is going to succeed in twisting her- or she is going to beat him at his own manipulative game and become just like him.

I have no real reason to believe this might happen- other then it is the total opposite of what it looks like might happen.

FD

At the end of the second book I knew that whoever looked like they were on top was in trouble. But now that formula is ruined, as no one is in good shape. Everything is going to pot!

I must say the title of the next book seems apt, as it looks like Westeros is going to tear itself to pieces.

PS

Tsyr

Explorer
Storminator said:
I must say the title of the next book seems apt, as it looks like Westeros is going to tear itself to pieces.

Is GOING to? We already have... what... four seperate factions competeing for the throne (Lannister, Stark, Greyjoy (Well, not the entire throne maybe), and the remnanets of Barethon (SP?) on westeros alone.

Add to that the fact that each of those houses in in serious trouble (Stark after the Red Wedding, Lannister after the death of the young king and the leader of house Lannister, Greyjoy after the possible-death-but-certainly-defeat if Theon, and Stannis with the refusal of the Night Watch to join him yet now being so far north and deep within "enemy lines".

Then we have the Freys, who are a wildcard at the moment... they could side with the any faction except the Starks, or decide to enter the frey for the throne, or just try to set aside their own little kingdom, sorta like Robb tried to do.

Plus we have the threat from the beyond the wall (Which I doubt has been sufficiently dealt with), the question of what is going to happen with the Night Watch and if Jon will attempt to claim the seat of house Stark despite his swearing the black, what Tyrion is going to do now that he's out from his fathers iron grasp, what will become of the two shifty characters (Littlefinger and Varys), what Arys is going to do once she finds the strange assassin-cult, what part Thalos of Myr's little band is going to play...

And that's all BEFORE you add in the return to power of the old house that Danerys (sp?) has managed, and her inevitable return.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I would looooove to see Sansa become a badass. Maybe she can kill Arya's wolf right after Arya reunites with it.

Right now, I find Sansa to be infuriatingly stupid. Yeah, she started off with a fairy-tale worldview. How much more does it take to convince her that everyone in the world around her is a psycho hosebeast? In the past two-and-a-half books, the greatest kindnesses anyone has shown her is:
-A drunken lout offered to save her, in exchange for hoped-for sexual favors; and
-A twisted man, uncle of her father's killer, who has agreed not to rape her even though he's her husband.

Scarcely a landscape overflowing with love. And yet she continues to be a floppy little trusting bit of a girl.

It may be plausible, but I hate reading her chapters.

I agree that the Hound is a great character. He starts to seem more and more sympathetic -- and then you think back to the little boy that he cheerfully rode down and murdered, and no matter how sympathetic he's seeming, he's still a terrible monster.

And Dany is great for her incredibly bloody sense of justice. Freeing a city's slaves is great, but Jesus Christ! the way she does it!

Daniel

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Pielorinho said:

Scarcely a landscape overflowing with love. And yet she continues to be a floppy little trusting bit of a girl.

I have not read the third book in some time, but wasn't it clear she was starting to wisen up and look after herself by the end of it? She was finally able to start to perceive people as they are instead of how she wanted them to be.

FD

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Pielorinho said:

I agree that the Hound is a great character. He starts to seem more and more sympathetic -- and then you think back to the little boy that he cheerfully rode down and murdered, and no matter how sympathetic he's seeming, he's still a terrible monster.

He is a great example of LN.

FD

Remove ads