• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[SPOILERS] Firefly 12/06

Richards

Legend
What, nobody's started up a Firefly thread for this week's episode yet? I hope you guys all remembered to watch it! (Or did you, like me, switch over to watch "Taken" on SciFi for two hours and then go to bed rather than post about Firefly?)

In any case, I thought it was another excellent episode, filled with some great lines. My favorites include:

Wash: "And now I'm learning about 'scary,'" as the commandos surround him and Malcolm.

Zoe: "This is something the captain needs to do for himself" (said as Malcolm struggles with a guard who's been torturing him for the last day or so)
Malcolm: "No it isn't! No it isn't!"

Jayne: "I'll be in my bunk," said several times during the episode, immediately after having seen the companion (what's her name? Imara?) and her female client embrace.

There were also some nice touches, like Jayne spending a chunk of his share on goodies for the crew (no doubt feeling a little guilty after having betrayed the doctor and River last episode), and Malcolm and Wash carrying on their argument about Zoe during their electroshock torture sessions. (That latter bit must have been somewhat disconcerting to their torturer: if you're going to go to all the trouble to torture someone, you'd think they'd at least be polite enough to notice!) I also like the fact that Kaylie froze up during the firefight; nice, human touch there.

Johnathan

Chun-tzu

First Post
Great episode. The past few have been very strong, quickly making it one of my favorite shows, although I kind of wish they had started off this strong, as it might have hooked more viewers.

My favorite lines from last night went something like:

Doc: "I'm not sure how I feel. I've never shot anyone before."
Book: "Don't worry about it. I was there. You may not have shot anyone still."

The whole torture thing was really interesting. The arguing was amusing, but then when Wash tells Zoe afterwards that Malcolm's arguing was what got him through it... that was really cool.

Whodat

First Post
In a word: Wowzers!! There were too many great moments packed into one episode! I don’t know how Joss does it.

That had to be the funniest torture sequence in recent memory. Major “ick”-points for the whole ear thing, though.

Now that we’ve seen that Inara’s clientele swings both ways, I’m sure Mal is convinced that Saphron (Mal’s wife from an earlier episode) put Inara down by giving her toxic smootchies.

Speculation: River and Kaylee shared a silent look at the end of the ep. Is Kaylee creeped out by River for killing those three soldiers? Or do you think she feels ashamed that she couldn’t (or wouldn’t) help protect the ship? Both? Neither?
Simon had said in a previous ep that the Academy had fiddled with River's emotion center. Could that have been what the whole experiment on River was hoped to accomplish: an unfeeling tempest of death?

I’m dying to know how Book shares so much common knowledge with Niska. Book was quoting phrases from Niska’s favorite author. He seemed to know what type of rifles were used to down those dead men. And for a preacher, he was a darn good shot.

The way Zoe responded to Mal’s proposition. Totally deadpan! “Take me, Sir. Take me hard.” Classic!

I wonder if Wash will volunteer next time Mal has a “milk run” planned.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I thought it was great. The torture scene started off funny, but it got scarier and scarier through the whole thing. Finally, at the end of it, when Mal leans over and says, "Wash? Listen -- do you hear me? I'm going to screw your wife as soon as we get back, are you paying attention?" I realized what was going on: Mal is a tough bastard, way tougher than Wash, and was doing everything he could to keep Wash from thinking about the terrible pain. It rewrote the whole scene.

I don't think River is an unfeeling tempest of death: rather, she hated it so much that she couldn't watch as she killed three people. She's way freaky, way cool. I think her little look with Kaylee was more Kaylee feeling ashamed of her role in the escapade than anything else.

And the whole action scene, starting from the first shot until they pump the head torturer full of bullets, was brilliantly filmed. I was laughing and shouting, "Yeah! Oh yeah!" through the whole thing -- not normal for me :D. Especially when Zoe tumbled forward, pulling out two guns. Pure John Woo goodness!

If those tweakers at Fox cancel this show, I'll be one majorly unhappy puppy. It's so fun.

Daniel

Suldulin

First Post
Richards said:

Zoe: "This is something the captain needs to do for himself" (said as Malcolm struggles with a guard who's been torturing him for the last day or so)
Malcolm: "No it isn't! No it isn't!"

heh, that was very funny :D loved the show

John Crichton

First Post
Too many excellent moments to mention. I have no favorite. They were all great. :D

I'm of the thinking that Kaylee is ashamed of her actions in the fight but she is completely frazzed that River took out 3 soldiers blind. She's obviously the sensitive type. She hasn't seen much of the universe so firing a gun is something she has never done. She never takes part in the action for a good reason. But seeing someone who she seemed to be connecting with kill 3 men so easily was probably too much. Those 2 things together made for the most interesting part of the story, to me. :)

Save Firefly.

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
I knew it was on.
I left it in the BF's hands to tape it.
He thought it started at 9:00 pm, not 8:00 pm.

:mad:

Dangitdangitdangit!!

Welverin

First Post
Ashtal said:
I knew it was on.
I left it in the BF's hands to tape it.
He thought it started at 9:00 pm, not 8:00 pm.

:mad:

Dangitdangitdangit!!

This is what happens when you rely on other people. So in the future remember that if you want something done you must do it yourself.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Ashtal, there was a torture scene in the episode. Mal had nipple clamps hooked to him as 50,000 volts were passed through his body in excruciating pain.

You know what you must do.

Remove ads