• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[SPOILERS] Firefly 12/06

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Some interesting tidbits from www.aintitcoolnews.com;
http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=13988

Isn’t this just the ninth episode to air? What’s this “1.11” business?

Fox is running these early episodes out of order.

Well, in what order has Fox been running them?

1.3 The Train Job 9/20 ****

1.4 Bushwhacked 9/27 ***

1.7 Our Mrs. Reynolds 10/4 ****

1.8 Jaynestown 10/18 ***

1.9 Out of Gas 10/25 ****

1.5 Shindig 11/1 ***1/2

1.6 Safe 11/8 ***1/2

1.10 Ariel 11/15 ****

1.11 War Stories 12/6 ****

1.? Objects in Space 12/13

1.1&2 Serenity 12/20 ****

Will the two-hour pilot airing on Dec. 20 be the last time we see “Firefly”?

Probably not. Fox has ordered 15 episodes so far. By Dec. 20, the netlet will only have aired 12.

Will it return to Friday nights after Dec. 20?

Word is Fox execs are seriously contemplating moving the show to Thursdays at 8 p.m.

Thursdays at 8?? Opposite “Friends” and “Survivor”?? Aaiiee!!

Maybe. But remember that the WB launched “Gilmore Girls” in the same time slot against the same shows. Remember also that “Friends” is not expected back next year.

Does the increased sanity make River less interesting?
No. This week River gets a whole lot more interesting. Behold this little chunk of Simon’s foreshadowing dialogue: “The more I see the more I think their purpose was very specific. Look at this - the pattern.” (Next week’s episode, the last before the long-anticipated airing of the two-hour pilot and series hiatus, looks to be the most River-centric yet.)

Villano

First Post
Not quite as good as the previous episode, IMO, but still one of the best.

The only thing that I didn't like was the marriage conflict springing up out of nowehere. In all of the other episodes, they're all "lovey dovey". It struck me as being too much of a Star Trek stand alone episode conflict, which seems out of place on an episodic show, if you know what I mean.

Anywho, as excellent as the show is, it only scored a 2.4 in the ratings. I think that this is down from the previous episode, but I'm not sure (following up the best episode of the series with a 2 week hiatus didn't help).

So as not to be a total downer, here's something positive. I stumbled across a website for voting whether or not certain tv shows should be cancelled. Last I checked, there were 9000+ to save and 3000+ to cancel. Here's a link to the Fox programs:

http://www.savemyshow.com/fox.htm

The site says that it e-mails the results to the studios. I have no idea if it'll help, but it can't hurt.

BTW, while you're there, vote to cancel all those crappy "reality" shows. :)

(EDIT: Also, vote to save BattleBots. It's running at about 50/50 in the voting.)

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Villano said:
Anywho, as excellent as the show is, it only scored a 2.4 in the ratings. I think that this is down from the previous episode, but I'm not sure (following up the best episode of the series with a 2 week hiatus didn't help).

Actually, if I recall correctly, a 2.4 would be an improvement. That would put Firefly back in the top 100, right around Enterprise and Charmed. After a 3 week hiatus, that would actually be a pretty good showing.

rangerjohn

Explorer
Along with all the other lines... Zoe "doesn't the bible say something about killing?" Book "quite a bit, but its fuzzy in the area of knee-caps."

John Crichton

First Post
Villano said:
Not quite as good as the previous episode, IMO, but still one of the best.

The only thing that I didn't like was the marriage conflict springing up out of nowehere. In all of the other episodes, they're all "lovey dovey". It struck me as being too much of a Star Trek stand alone episode conflict, which seems out of place on an episodic show, if you know what I mean.
This could partially be because they have been showing them massively out of order. Personally, I think it was something that would have been addressed eventually. Didn't quite come out of the blue for me. Plus, the crew hasn't been together for all that long. Maybe a year? I'm not really sure but when the true premiere airs we may get some more answers. And I also believe that Wash and Zoe haven't been married all that long either.

* crosses fingers for continued Firefly bliss *

Agamon

Adventurer
Luckily I had my PVR set to tape Firefly, even though I was expecting a filler or repeat. I have a feeling that's one reason it had such low ratings, most other shows are into repeat mode right now.

Great show. Hopefully it sticks around.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Whodat said:

Speculation: River and Kaylee shared a silent look at the end of the ep. Is Kaylee creeped out by River for killing those three soldiers? Or do you think she feels ashamed that she couldn’t (or wouldn’t) help protect the ship? Both? Neither?
Simon had said in a previous ep that the Academy had fiddled with River's emotion center. Could that have been what the whole experiment on River was hoped to accomplish: an unfeeling tempest of death?
I think Kaylee is scared about the new revelation she witnessed in River when she killed the soldiers with expert marksmanship, not to mentioned she did this while closing her eyes.

To be honest with, I think the Alliance is undergoing some kind of super-soldier experimental project using "gifted" individuals like River. By removing that "filter" in her brain, she becomes a perfect soldier that can anticipate the enemy's next move and will quickly kill without qualm, when ordered so. She was probably a test subject or an prototype in progress until her brother broke her out of the Academy.

Remove ads