• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[SPOILERS][OT] "Return of the King" -- Does Shelob get shafted?

mooby

First Post
A friend told me that Shelob was deleted from the 3rd LOTR movie. Any truth to this?

Edit: this should have had a label in the first place...Ddog

Last edited by a moderator:

kengar

First Post
The scoop I heard (which is no more than rumor) is that Shelob won't appear UNTIL the 3rd film. In the books, she is at the end of TTT. I think the idea is that PJ felt like keeping the whole sequence with her and the orcs who take Frodo and Sam rescuing him all in one film rather than splitting it up. I have seen stills of Shelob's cave in a LOTR movie book at Border's so I'm pretty sure she's in the movies somewhere. :D

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Considering that Galadriel's gift to Frodo was the ONLY one to make it into the theatrical release, I would say the evidence is good we'll see Shelob.

I feel silly even responding to this. There's just no way to cut her from the movie, she is pivotal to the plot.

Wulf

Brown Jenkin

First Post
How can you possibly cut her from TTT. She is resopnsible for the cliffhanger that defines the end of TTT. I will be seriously peeved if Jackson changes this as it has MAJOR reprocussions that can't be reworked without masive changes to the story.

DanMcS

Explorer
If shelob isn't in the TT, it cuts out a chunk of the action. TTT book has a whole lot of description of the three hunters running over the plains, and frodo and sam wandering lost in the marshes/badlands, which will probably be reduced to a quick montage and then cut to the action. That leaves encountering the Rohirrim, the white wizard bit, Helm's Deep, the taming of Smeagol, Fangorn, and Orthanc as the major events in the movie, and it doesn't seem like that's enough.

What do I know, though, it will probably be better than the first one. :)

Tom Cashel

First Post
mooby said:
A friend told me that Shelob was deleted from the 3rd LOTR movie. Any truth to this?

Just so you know...

There's no point in warning about "SPOILERS" when your entire post is in the subject line. Consider it spoiled at that point.

:D

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Shelob was moved to the 3rd movie because Jackson thought the hobbits didn't get enough face time; most of the book is about the battle in Minas Tirith. I'm sure he'll end the movie on a high point, anyways.

I'm just irritated about the removal of the Scouring of the Shire!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads