Spoilers: Some guy in Friends & Family playtest apparently violates his NDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baumi

Adventurer
It really reads like a playTEST, especially with the two wizards having completely different Mechanics and the survey specificaly asking about the differences between these two. So I would be careful to judge 5E on that, they are just throwing Ideas out and see what works and what doesn't, the end result might be COMPLETELY different.

By the way, if I read that right than this is a playtest that BEFORE DDXP (he wrote about December (Friends and Family playtest), so at DDXP there might have been already quite a few different Mechanics.

What I find interesting is that the Warlord on low level heals only in combat and the Cleric outside of combat. Also there seems to be a Healing Surge Value but no healing surges (like in Gamma World).

Raith5

Adventurer
Agree Baumi. I have to say that despite preferring a clean and lean version of 4th ed mechanics, the system at least sounds interesting and familiar.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
All sounded OK to me for an early playtest. As such cannot really read a lot into it, but as for setting random DCs for saves, I say great. I hope this makes it in (even as an option...and not a hard one to house rule if it doesn't).

We love a lot of randomness in the game and it especially suits magic :)

The poster's answers to questions later in the thread are interesting too.

Last edited:

Sammael

Adventurer
Sounds legitimate. Also sounds like something I wouldn't want to touch with a 10' pole.

EDIT: the one positive I see is that fights don't take long (10 minutes to 1/2 hour).

Tehnai

First Post
The numbers were nice and low, the thief looked like he had cool abilities, it seems possible to make a gish out of the box, the same encounter can be used at levels 2, 5 and 10...

For me, this all sounds like what we were told was coming. I'm on board.

This sounds very much like I expected.

The difference between the magic users seems to tie in with what we've been told in the seminars at DDXP, in that:

1) The default is Vancian spellcasting
2) There are feats (or the equivalent) that let you trade spell slots for things that are more like 4e-style powers.

It looks like the human magic-user has mostly stuck with the Vancian slots, but has spent a couple of feats/slots to get himself an at-will "Javelin of Fire" and a choice of spells that he can do once per encounter.

The elven magic-user has spent all their spell slots (and we don't know how many feats) on a variety of at-will cantrips, some choices of warlock-style blasts once or more per encounter, and some choices of spell that can be cast daily but without prep.

The cleric has swapped his low level slots for a daily out-of-combat healing ability, but hasn't continued to swap out spell slots as he goes up levels, so at higher levels he has those in addition to that ability.

It's almost the perfect example of how the modularity is supposed to work. The thing that would have made it perfect would have been if there had been a third magic user or cleric who had not spent any feats/slots and was purely Vancian.

The thief abilities are interesting too, and again tie in to the seminar info about being able to trade off raw combat power for special maneouvres. For example, he can trade an attack for an evasive action, or trade a double-attack for a single attack doing extra damage in some circumstances, or (at high level) trade an attack for a brief invisible escape.

The note about having "Advantage" rather than "Combat Advantage" also supports my suspicion that the mention of "Advantage" in skill usage is evidence that it is a unified mechanic that works the same both in and out of combat.

And I love the way that the new Haste spell apparently doesn't break the action economy. From the mechanical description, I'm assuming that the flavour text is something along the lines of it speeding everyone up slightly (they get bonuses but not extra actions) and the caster can concentrate on a particular target to speed them up further (so the caster loses their action but the target gets an extra one). That's a great version of the spell!

Skills also seem to be working as in the seminars. Mostly you just compare Ability Score and if it's high enough you succeed. If your score isn't high enough you roll and add Ability Bonus to try to get the target. Skills are flexible bonuses that add to rolls and may or may not also add to effective scores when checking for auto-success.

It seems that attacks are d20+bonus vs static AC; Vancian spells are saved against using a static DC; and "power"-type spells are saved against using a rolled DC. I'm not sure why that difference is there (or whether it's actually a Vancian/Power split or whether there are other feats/factors involved).

All in all, this lines up very nicely with the official info that we've heard, and it's left me very excited about 5e. Now all they need to do is iron out the bumps and it will be a great game.

Dannager

First Post
There are a handful of people in this thread whose attitudes and reactions completely justify WotC's decision to keep playtesting under NDA for now. We can't have nice things, because people say stuff like, "If this piecemeal report of the very first public playtest of D&D 5e ever turns out to be legitimate, I am straight up done with 5e despite never having played it or having any idea what the game will actually look like upon release."

Can we please be better than this?

Tehnai

First Post
Anybody else is in love with "Advantage" as a simple +2 to whatever, in any circumstance?

I mean, 3.X and 4E essentially had that (Favorable circumstances/Combat advantage/aid another/flanking, etc.), but I would find it beautiful to see a generic "Advantage", sneaking its way pretty much everywhere.

BryonD

Hero
There are a handful of people in this thread whose attitudes and reactions completely justify WotC's decision to keep playtesting under NDA for now. We can't have nice things, because people say stuff like, "If this piecemeal report of the very first public playtest of D&D 5e ever turns out to be legitimate, I am straight up done with 5e despite never having played it or having any idea what the game will actually look like upon release."

(Not presuming the report is real. Maybe, maybe not)

I strongly respect WotC's right to a NDA. I'm not disputing that at all, but...

Statements that basically say "I'll never play a game that is accurately represented by those details" are perfectly reasonable.

Of course we don't have enough information here in Feb 2012. There is no telling what 5E will be in the end. But it is easy to say *right now* that there are games out there that would appeal to a lot of people better than a game that is fairly represented in that post.

Also keep in mind that as more real info does come out, people will start forming conclusions. Having gone through this very recently, one of the recurring themes for 4E right before it came out was "you can't complain about that, you haven't seen the full rules in context." Then we saw the full rules in context and nothing changed.

So, bottom line:
For now responding about that post is perfectly valid (should even be encouraged, the point for now is feedback after all) but those responses are about a theoretical game whose core is captured by those few details. Everyone understands 5E isn't even firm yet.

and

And lets not go down that path again of telling the fan base they are not smart enough to rely on information available and their own past experience to draw some conclusions with reasonable accuracy regarding how certain mechanics will fit with their own personal tastes.

Sammael

Adventurer

I've been fairly consistent with my opinions of D&D Next based on the available information (L&L, Rule of 3, seminars, playtest reports). We may not have the full information yet, but it is fairly easy to see which direction the game is going in. And while there are aspects of it that I do like, I definitively dislike the overall direction.

I'll give praise when I feel it's warranted, but I will not hesitate to voice my criticism when I see stuff I don't like. The "wait and see" approach is not valid here, since they are purportedly developing the game based on fan feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads