Spoilers: Some guy in Friends & Family playtest apparently violates his NDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raith5

Adventurer
Actually i dont see a problem with this, and WOtC would be wise to heed threads like this if they want to win back the customers they lost with 4E. People who left have been clear: we left because we don't like healing aurgers, 4E powers, etc. If those elements are in the core, it is a fair assumption most of us wont come back. That isn't closed mindedness. It is just that we already know how we feel about those things.

That sounds like a pretty inflexible approach. At least give them a chance to give these mechanics and *options* a proper play test.

avin

First Post
That sounds like a pretty inflexible approach. At least give them a chance to give these mechanics and *options* a proper play test.

I will.

But if this playtest report is real there will be raising red flags for a lot of players...

Hassassin

First Post
I'll try a more positive approach to it, ignoring everything I don't like.

Lower spells per day for the other wizard is something I hope to see in some form. Evasion that works on a 20 or when you save with a large margin is something I want to try as well.

The thief/rogue has a lot more mobility, if he can move-attack-move from level 1. The sneak/advantage damage seems to scale a lot more reasonably than 3/4e. The roll-with-it mechanic also sounds interesting.

Better flanking/advantage is a very warlordy ability that I fully support.

DonAdam

Explorer
Javelin of fire does sound boring. Why not an iconic spell like acid arrow?

If this is real, the only thing that has me more substantially worried is a thief turning invisible in the middle of combat at level 5. I put up with that stuff in Epic for 4e because Epic is magic sauce. I don't need magic sauce for low level martial characters.

Danzauker

Adventurer
Sorry, but if WOTC wants its lost customers back, it has to do more than re-package 4e with a new hat.

There's no shortage of old school or Pathfinder products to buy. I'd much rather buy products from people who generally like the style of RPG that I do, rather than those that are just patronizing me with a few sprinkles from past editions.

I think part of the problem lately comes from the fact that the old-edition-loving crowd has assumed - of course in part due to the marketing blurb - that "wo-hoo we won the war! 4E sucks and WotC finally acknowledged it!".

Sorry, but I absolutely hope this is not the case. I hope the modular thing will allow people to customize the system in order to get close to 1E, e£ or 4E, but that it's not a complete clone of any of them.

Sure, WotC want to get the customers they lost back, and they are a lot, no doubt about that, but the game must if people really want to play 1E they can use their old books (or buy the reprints). Same for 3E or Pathfinder.

If healing surges and 4e powers are options, i will be fine with the game. But if they are part of the core, that would be a major problem for me. Tose are the very things that I disliked about 4e, so I see no reason to back to WOTC if they are part of the core.

Andor

First Post
Sounds like a well designed playtest, evaluating several approaches in a single character pack, testing power level, items, difficulty.

Sounds pretty promising to me. Reduced scaling, nifty abilities, flexible apprications.

I like what I'm seeing.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
There is major problems with this report.

1) The writing is terrible. It is vague, imprecise and lacks focus. It speaks of either a lack of intelligence, education, or focus.

2) If it is true, it comes from, an untrustworthy source. They've broken a contract to release it.

So, am I going to get worked up over the rantings of a stupid (or ignorant or lazy) untrustworthy playtester?

No, especially since there was NO new confirmable info. I could have written that and any info it provides was easily extrapolated of guessed out of early reports.

Frankly the bad writing, which gets worse as you go on in the thread smacks of a troll, intentionally using bad writing to add "Authenticity"

BryonD

Hero
Yes but there are more knees jerking in this thread than at a Reflexology clinic.
Here is A
Here is my reaction to A

That isn't knee jerk. That is feedback.

And, frankly, over reaction is better than too little reaction and too little reaction is better than telling other people when and how they are allowed to react.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads