Unearthed Arcana Spores, Brutes, and Inventors: Unearthed Arcana Brings You Three New Subclasses

gyor

Legend
If they want a Sorceror like Wizard subclass they should just go straight for the Incantatrix, basically a wizard with sorcerer like traits.

Like I said have the Wizard pick two metamagic ability and a small pool of spell points. Add in a few more features inspired by the original Incantatrix prestige class. It's clear what they want, but they are going about it the hard way.

Reading the posts it appears that only the Circle of the Spoor is popular, a few people like the Brute as a replacement for a Champion they are unhappy with, but otherwise doesn't seem to interest people.

The School of Invention seems straight up hated.

I predict only the Circle of the Spoor survives.

Here are some more ideas for Wizard subclasses besides Incantatrix, Beguiler, Implement Master, Nethermancer, Shi'ar, Red Wizard, Theurge with it's own features, Elementalist, Ruathar, Geometer, Mage of the Arcane Order, Green Star Adapt, Recaster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Horwath

Legend
I see "brute" working only with Assassin rogue multiclass.

brute17/assassin3 with crossbow expert. and sharpshooter. and elven accuracy

7 critical hit attacks for 2d6+2d8+32. and one with extra +4d6.

some "brute" that is :D

Rossbert

Explorer
I think I figured out how the reckless casting fit into the inventor theme.

It all hinges on the ideas of A. The armor is something of a second focus you cast through like Iron Man's Repulsors and B. Inventor is more Warcraft gnome throw things together, pull random levers and hope it works style than methodical.

In that light, reckless casting is you flipping switches and turning dials on armor you only half understand and hoping the resulting surge or energy is useful. Fun and thematic but a little weird on a fantasy wizard base.

Maybe if you ruled it more as rushed alchemy it might feel better?

I think I figured out how the reckless casting fit into the inventor theme.

It all hinges on the ideas of A. The armor is something of a second focus you cast through like Iron Man's Repulsors and B. Inventor is more Warcraft gnome throw things together, pull random levers and hope it works style than methodical.

In that light, reckless casting is you flipping switches and turning dials on armor you only half understand and hoping the resulting surge or energy is useful. Fun and thematic but a little weird on a fantasy wizard base.

Maybe if you ruled it more as rushed alchemy it might feel better?

I do feel that this was their intended thing. I just feel at present it's a little too close to both the chaos sorcerer and metamagic for comfort. Wizards don't need sorcerer's toys as well as their own. I also feel if they were going for the mad gadgeteer route, it should be implemented in a way that is *NOT* spellcasting. They are clearly trying to reference the Dragonlance and Eberron tech gnomes here (I kind of cringe when I see someone bring up the wow gnomes without realizing that they themselves are a reference to D&D's stuff, though it's a meaningless pet peeve to be fair). The problem is all of those gnomes in both settings are basically anti-magic in mindset.

They quite literally are trying to use science and tech as a means to get around magic, not use it. It's why making it a wizard subclass misses the point. Making it part of an updated artificer would make sense, however. I'm hoping this is just a chance for them to possibly gauge the armor concept as an alternative base mechanic for the artificer class that isn't a pet robot (which really should've been an entire subclass instead of a base feature.

Rossbert

Explorer
They are clearly trying to reference the Dragonlance and Eberron tech gnomes here (I kind of cringe when I see someone bring up the wow gnomes without realizing that they themselves are a reference to D&D's stuff, though it's a meaningless pet peeve to be fair).

While a valid point, many people partake of different media. I myself have dabbled very lightly n Forgotten Realms lore and all I know about Eberron is from the MMO. I know nothing of Dragonlance or Birthright but I did see gnomish engineering gadgets and cities in Warcraft, both the RTS and MMO.

It's almost like there's a subclass for the sorcerer that is precisely designed to be just that: chaotic and random...or a base sorcerer mechanic in place that let's them tweak and adjust their spells using a daily replenishing resource...but that would be crazy right? God forbid the wizard not be able to out sorcerer a sorcerer.

From a 3x perspective, the 5e wizard already out sorcerers the 5e sorcerer. I am not even a fan of the 3x sorcerer (loved the 4e one), but at some point you are just kicking a beaten man. It seems like between this, the lore wizard, and the theurge, that a significant proportion of the survey-filling-out audience feels that "wizard walking off with some other casting classes gimmick" is a step too far. I think they would be better served to look in a different direction (like mix and match schools ala the war mage).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases