Unearthed Arcana Spores, Brutes, and Inventors: Unearthed Arcana Brings You Three New Subclasses

G

Guest 6801328

The idea of the gnome as the tech-involving inventor really caught on as it gave them a unique identity. Something they had to themselves that wasn't being compared to other races

I mean, Chance just described why some other ones haven't caught on "They're dwarves but more different" isn't exactly an inspiring concept for a player race. Being inventors was the first time they got something of their own, along with the whole heavy fey influence in 4E

That may be true, but laser cannons also would have given them a unique identity. Doesn't mean that it fits with the genre/aesthetic that many people want to imagine when playing D&D.

Chaosmancer

Legend
That may be true, but laser cannons also would have given them a unique identity. Doesn't mean that it fits with the genre/aesthetic that many people want to imagine when playing D&D.

But, clockwork and alchemy aren't really that far outside of the aesthetic, if they are outside of it at all.

Yeah, giving them steam-powered tanks might be a bit much, but we have clockwork golems and such anyways, alchemists are a thing, and a lot of traps are mechanically advanced versions of pulleys and block and tackle systems.

Heck, Mechanus is a thing in the DnD multi-verse and the Inevitables were massive clockwork angels. You don't need to go super sci-fi with it, they are the most advanced scientists in the world, they can make clocks.

Otherwise... yeah, they are the strange child of halflings and dwarves. They mine and smith like dwarves, but they are shorter, less hairy and live in hills like halflings, but no one in their entire civilization farms so they aren't halflings and I guess no halflings smith either...It just doesn't work out if you have to assume they can create sustainable cities and villages. Smithing and Farming are jobs too important to just not do.

Otherwise... yeah, they are the strange child of halflings and dwarves. They mine and smith like dwarves, but they are shorter, less hairy and live in hills like halflings, but no one in their entire civilization farms so they aren't halflings and I guess no halflings smith either...It just doesn't work out if you have to assume they can create sustainable cities and villages. Smithing and Farming are jobs too important to just not do.

It works out if they trade what they do for what someone else does. It's basic economics. In the real world specialization improves productivity and requires trade to gain what else we need / want. None of us are independent of others on an individual level and nations are not on that level. So, having fantasy races specialize just requires a system of trade among the different races. Next up comparative and absolute advantage... agh!!! I'm at work :)

*edit* I teach. History, political science and economics. I had a flashback to basic economics...

Last edited by a moderator:

As I recall, one of the 2E settings birthed the Gnomes as mad inventors (I believe you were right - it was Dragonlance) and then they became fey related... I prefer the humbler, homier, sneakier, Dwarf related ones myself.

*edit* for clarity and rambling memories :)
Weren't Mystaran gnomes into mechanisms and magic analogues of technology? Was it just the Top Ballista supplement, or a more general setting thing?

I don't like the Dragonlance Tinker gnomes because they were a tragedy (race cursed by their creator IIRC) that was generally just used for comic relief.

The Eberron Gnomes, I am a fan of however, but they are much closer to the Forest gnomes of previous incarnations than the Tinker gnomes of Dragonlance. Their society and place in the setting feels much more unique and coherent to me than gnomes from other settings.

Chaosmancer

Legend
It works out if they trade what they do for what someone else does. It's basic economics. In the real world specialization improves productivity and requires trade to gain what else we need / want. None of us are independent of others on an individual level and nations are not on that level. So, having fantasy races specialize just requires a system of trade among the different races. Next up comparative and absolute advantage... agh!!! I'm at work :)

*edit* I teach. History, political science and economics. I had a flashback to basic economics...

LOL, I can feel that. Just took a macroeconomics class in the last few years.

The problem with that theory is that such a system of trade generally doesn't exist in our conceptions of these fantasy worlds, and even in our world very few countries that are well off import ALL of their food. And the big advantage we have in the modern world is high levels of transportation. You may be able to create portals or gates, but we generally do not see high magic used in that way.

So, theoretically possible, but not what happens. Then you've got the problem of "hidden gnome villages" suddenly being massive trade hubs...

Weren't Mystaran gnomes into mechanisms and magic analogues of technology? Was it just the Top Ballista supplement, or a more general setting thing?

I don't like the Dragonlance Tinker gnomes because they were a tragedy (race cursed by their creator IIRC) that was generally just used for comic relief.

The Eberron Gnomes, I am a fan of however, but they are much closer to the Forest gnomes of previous incarnations than the Tinker gnomes of Dragonlance. Their society and place in the setting feels much more unique and coherent to me than gnomes from other settings.

I'm not sure about the Gnomes of the various settings; I've always run my own campaign. I bought Greyhawk and The Forgotten Realms for reading material. I've played in those and homebrew games along with the old Judges Guild setting. That's about it. The rest of my "Gnome knowledge" comes from core books and what I've read on various forums. I'm Gnome knowledge deficient :)

*edit* Of course I know all about the Gnomes of my own setting... I think. Gnomes can be a bit tricky.

Last edited by a moderator:

LOL, I can feel that. Just took a macroeconomics class in the last few years.

The problem with that theory is that such a system of trade generally doesn't exist in our conceptions of these fantasy worlds, and even in our world very few countries that are well off import ALL of their food. And the big advantage we have in the modern world is high levels of transportation. You may be able to create portals or gates, but we generally do not see high magic used in that way.

So, theoretically possible, but not what happens. Then you've got the problem of "hidden gnome villages" suddenly being massive trade hubs...

I'm teaching macro right now :)

Given the specialization of various fantasy races it points to a trade system existing (and in mine it always has) even if it was not explicitly mentioned. Trade has always existed at whatever level transportation, production and markets allow for. It doesn't have to be ultra long range. Modern transportation does create larger markets and increase the benefit but the benefit has always been there. Medieval cities existed based on trade with surrounding villages, funneled through market towns. Long range trade tended to be in durable luxury goods. This wouldn't be any different. It means that the races would be much closer to each other geographically than modern nation states are. Dwarvish cities or Gnome steadings (or what have you) would rely on near by human or Halfling villages / towns for food. This doesn't mean Gnomes (and others) would produce none of their own food, just that they would be reliant for much of it on other communities. As for hidden Gnome villages they might just send caravans out to pick it up themselves or act through some trusted intermediaries. The ancient world supported a city of over 1 million people (Rome) on a highly organized system of long range trade with technology no better than the typical D&D world. Trade also offers numerous possibilities for adventure, which is another good, in game, reason for it.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases