• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spring's D&D Release Will Be Ship-Themed

So they talked about it a little bit on today's Fireside Chat. They mentioned that the full reveal are coming at a later date, but it will be a ship based product. It's almost done, but cover and title are not yet finalized. Not much else was mentioned except some joke titles! Not too surprising, given the UA, the upcoming seafaring comic book, the ship mini set, etc.

So they talked about it a little bit on today's Fireside Chat. They mentioned that the full reveal are coming at a later date, but it will be a ship based product. It's almost done, but cover and title are not yet finalized.

Not much else was mentioned except some joke titles!

Not too surprising, given the UA, the upcoming seafaring comic book, the ship mini set, etc.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Superheroes are on an entirely different level of silliness than anything that isn't comedy or made for preschoolers ;)

LOL nah

Pretending to be an elf wizard with a pet that can talk to you telepathically is MUCH sillier than a Black Panther comic book. DnD isn’t higher art than comics. To think it is requires an ignorance of one or both mediums.

gyor

Legend
Am I the only one who thinks APs shouldn't have to do the work of a FRCG or regional guides. They never had to in previous editions, but the setting is so poorly supportered that they do.

And WotC really needs stop making every book try and do the job of a bunch of books, because is ruining the quality and they are only doing it because of the snail release schedule.

Dungeon of the Mad Mage was the best book A-side from the core because it's specialized it try and be a regional guide and a monster manuel, it was just a really, really well done dungeon, it didn't try to do a whole bunch of other things like all the other none core 5e book.

In fact in my opinion, some kind of FRCG or similar sizable product should be considered core product meaning for me the core isl unfinished.

In fact in my opinion, some kind of FRCG or similar sizable product should be considered core product meaning for me the core isl unfinished.

Nope. "Core" means just that: core, universal and essential to more or less all games.

While FR remains the most popular campaign setting by a wide margin, it's still not used in a majority of games. (In every survey WotC has released the answers for, "homebrew" beat FR handily.)

An FR campaign setting is useless to lots of people, and less than useless--actually harmful--if declared (or even widely considered) part of the "core" experience.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Am I the only one who thinks APs shouldn't have to do the work of a FRCG or regional guides. They never had to in previous editions, but the setting is so poorly supportered that they do.

And WotC really needs stop making every book try and do the job of a bunch of books, because is ruining the quality and they are only doing it because of the snail release schedule.

Dungeon of the Mad Mage was the best book A-side from the core because it's specialized it try and be a regional guide and a monster manuel, it was just a really, really well done dungeon, it didn't try to do a whole bunch of other things like all the other none core 5e book.

They have a specific business plan with the "lack of focus." I heard Mearls on the Happy Fun Hour say that he wanted Xanathar's to be about 60% of tables...as long as each table was looking at a different 60%. He specifically cited the name lists as something WotC has gotten very positive feedback from a large percentage of customers, though many tables will put that in the useless 40% of the book for them. By making large boxes, they increase the odds a given book will be useful and worth buying. A given book may or may not work for you overall, but they aren't doing it because they are confused, there is a method at work, and it seems to be successful.

gyor

Legend
They have a specific business plan with the "lack of focus." I heard Mearls on the Happy Fun Hour say that he wanted Xanathar's to be about 60% of tables...as long as each table was looking at a different 60%. He specifically cited the name lists as something WotC has gotten very positive feedback from a large percentage of customers, though many tables will put that in the useless 40% of the book for them. By making large boxes, they increase the odds a given book will be useful and worth buying. A given book may or may not work for you overall, but they aren't doing it because they are confused, there is a method at work, and it seems to be successful.

If Mike Mearls said the sun is purple you'd believe him. And of XGTE was 60% table I would have gone no where near it.

Honestly I've been extremely, extremely patient with WotC, but honestly I've had enough of subpare products that glimmer with potential that is unrealized.

Until WotC gets it's act together, I'm done, I give up on the hope that they will organize and focus their books properly. If they do some something right and put out a quality focused book, I'll buy it, but till then I'm with books that don't know what they want to be.

And a lot young players don't know any better because they've only know 5e, they don't know how book used to be organized. Not ever book coming out should feel like a compilation of borderline random Dragon Magazine articles.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If Mike Mearls said the sun is purple you'd believe him. And of XGTE was 60% table I would have gone no where near it.

Honestly I've been extremely, extremely patient with WotC, but honestly I've had enough of subpare products that glimmer with potential that is unrealized.

Until WotC gets it's act together, I'm done, I give up on the hope that they will organize and focus their books properly. If they do some something right and put out a quality focused book, I'll buy it, but till then I'm with books that don't know what they want to be.

And a lot young players don't know any better because they've only know 5e, they don't know how book used to be organized. Not ever book coming out should feel like a compilation of borderline random Dragon Magazine articles.

The 60% number wasn't that the book would be composed of tables, but that a given table of players would find 60% of the book useful to them. Their goal is to provide a wide variety of content in any given product.

If a given book doesn't...float your boat...no worries. Don't buy it. Maybe the next one will.

They have a strategy with the "lack of focus" that is working. Not to your taste, but their books continue to be received well and sell well, so I doubt that will change anytime in the forseeable future. If "focus" doesn't sell, and "lack of focus" sells, well...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Why do you taunt me.

By Gygax's Eternal Obfsucation, I now want a book that isn't 60% tables, but 100% tables!

I want tables that I roll on to tell me which tables to use.

I want more tables than an Ikea, baby.

Make it so!

Oh.... oh ..... this would be the perfect coffee-table book.

Mmmm.... "The 5e Coffee Table Book of Tables!"

TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

Not gonna lie, I'd be all about that. Particularly if they were names.

Remove ads

Remove ads