Spring's D&D Release Will Be Ship-Themed

So they talked about it a little bit on today's Fireside Chat. They mentioned that the full reveal are coming at a later date, but it will be a ship based product. It's almost done, but cover and title are not yet finalized. Not much else was mentioned except some joke titles! Not too surprising, given the UA, the upcoming seafaring comic book, the ship mini set, etc.

So they talked about it a little bit on today's Fireside Chat. They mentioned that the full reveal are coming at a later date, but it will be a ship based product. It's almost done, but cover and title are not yet finalized.

Not much else was mentioned except some joke titles!

Not too surprising, given the UA, the upcoming seafaring comic book, the ship mini set, etc.

JPL

Adventurer
Fair enough. I thought you were focusing on Faerun, but like most D&D settings, they do still have continents they haven't and probably never will do anything with.

I had forgotten that there's a whole Australia analogue down there. What a strange campaign that would be. No armor, and the only weapons are Rock, Blunt Stick, Sharp Stick, and Magic Returning Throwing Stick.

Some kind of South Seas / Indonesia / Polynesia analogue would be very cool, and would pair well with the nautical rules.

I figure the great secret of the mariners of the Forgotten Realms is that if you know how to find them, the oceans are full of portals to other planes, magical shortcuts, etc.

Why do you taunt me.

By Gygax's Eternal Obfsucation, I now want a book that isn't 60% tables, but 100% tables!

I want tables that I roll on to tell me which tables to use.

I want more tables than an Ikea, baby.

Make it so!

Oh.... oh ..... this would be the perfect coffee-table book.

Mmmm.... "The 5e Coffee Table Book of Tables!"

TAKE MY MONEY NOW!
It's tables all the way down!

Retreater

Legend
Honestly, what I want more than anything they can announce for 5E is the return of access to the online tools of 4E. I'm running two 4E campaigns, and those tools would be lifesavers for us. (I'm also running two 5E campaigns, so I'm not trying to engage in an edition war - but there's not a lot more I need from 5E at this moment.)

Retreater

Legend
I doubt that would happen. There is no reason for WoTC to keep putting in money for supporting an old edition with on-line tools; at best, you should hope that they OGL 4e and allow others to have an on-line presence for it.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that, though; as nice as that would be, I'm sure that the beancounters would prefer people not to be playing editions they are no longer monetizing.

To be fair, I think they used to charge a monthly subscription for access to the 4E online tools. Even at $5/month I would be spending more on that than I do on 5E resources at this point. I know there are costs associated with this, but I wonder how much they would be?

And they are monetizing PDFs of older editions already. Maybe just allow someone to host it and give them a cut of the profits (if any)?

I'm fairly confident that this will be an adventure, not a supplement. A few months ago I was at a release party for Art & Arcana, and I overheard beta playtesters discussing two different adventures they were playing. One was "the pirate thing". (I'm not going to reveal the other adventure they mentioned, even though I'm not under NDA.) Based upon that overheard conversation, I think it's an adventure.

Remove ads

Remove ads