Spring's D&D Release Will Be Ship-Themed

So they talked about it a little bit on today's Fireside Chat. They mentioned that the full reveal are coming at a later date, but it will be a ship based product. It's almost done, but cover and title are not yet finalized. Not much else was mentioned except some joke titles! Not too surprising, given the UA, the upcoming seafaring comic book, the ship mini set, etc.

So they talked about it a little bit on today's Fireside Chat. They mentioned that the full reveal are coming at a later date, but it will be a ship based product. It's almost done, but cover and title are not yet finalized.

Not much else was mentioned except some joke titles!

Not too surprising, given the UA, the upcoming seafaring comic book, the ship mini set, etc.

CapnZapp

Legend
Screenshot 2019-01-04 at 22.17.30.png

This I want.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-04 at 22.17.30.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-04 at 22.17.30.png
    504 KB · Views: 555
Last edited by a moderator:

D

DQDesign

I would say the more niche, the better it helps with your fatigue.

This could be true, when addressing the single customer. What I don't understand is a company hoping to have the usual revenues (or increasing them) with a niche product.

This could be true, when addressing the single customer. What I don't understand is a company hoping to have the usual revenues (or increasing them) with a niche product.

If they are going to do 4 books a year instead of 3, then that fourth book can be more niche without a problem. There can be a crunch book, a setting book, an adventure book, and a niche book. Something for (almost) everyone.

D

DQDesign

If they are going to do 4 books a year instead of 3, then that fourth book can be more niche without a problem. There can be a crunch book, a setting book, an adventure book, and a niche book. Something for (almost) everyone.

good point! I would take the setting book for example (but only if open for dmsguild development) and maybe the crunch and the adventure (if used as weak replacement for a setting like done for CoS).
let's see if your prophecy fulfills :) (considering that a 25 people team is not able to produce an artificer class after two years of development I'm not so confident, but who knows?).

I have to cross my fingers about the ship book. If it's an adventure, I've found most gaming pirate-based adventures are dark, gritty, and unpleasant; D&D/PF has done a pretty bad job of capturing high adventure, swashbuckling daring-do. Campaigns that promise Jack Sparrow, then you end up getting keel-hauled by a maniacal captain and spend most of the adventure in prison-like conditions.

That's down to the DM. I ran a couple of pirate themed sidequests last year, and they where far from grimdark. You might also look at "Pirates of the Sword Coast" for the Neverwinter Nights CRPG.

CydKnight

Explorer
I've never been drawn to "ship-themed" adventures. Perhaps I associate such a thing of working thematically like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies which I really don't associate with D&D? I suppose if I had additional inspiration and gave it more thought, it could be fun?

Remove ads

Remove ads