SRD 3.5 Competition

Dimwhit

Explorer
Second let me say that some of the thoughts that is rolling around in here are distrubing at best. Having had experience in doing some free programming work I would like to say that pushing people to walk through hoops when they are doing something for free is a good way to leave them disenchanted. Saying that total compatabilities has anything to do with self-respect is ludicris. Any person giving up their free time to help some people out is great person period. Saying that he has to help out nearly everyone to have any self-respect is just plain crazy. So I guess that what I’m saying is that it is rather unfair to judge a persons free work by the standards of that of a paid professional. If a person ends up asking for money out of this then I’m going to pass on it but if I wasn’t I would expect more. By the same token if they are going to offer it to me for free I’m going to accept that it is going to be using the most common standard out there. Like most reasonable people I accept that freeware is just that free. Not the work output of a paid professional. I for one am fine with the > 90% approach. Keep up the good work all.

Some of the conversation has gone a bit off the beaten path. But you are correct. People are working hard, and for free, doing this. And that is to be appreciated. I think it's more people talking about methods of doing this and what they do and don't do when programming. For the competition, they can code for whatever/whoever they want. I don't think there will be any compatibility problems. But we'll see. I'm looking forward to the results.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Drawmack said:

Maybe you should surf over to w3c and do a bit of research before you make statements that make it clear to people who know what they are talking about that you do not.

xhtml is an xml implementation of html. So any browser that understands xml/xsl understands it already. Then the files are all stored on the w3c servers. So it comes out compliant more efficiently and easily the html which is why html has been depricated.

*lets the hostility slide off him asif it was nothing more than a drop in a storm*

Oh i have, Xhtml 1.0 was/is nothing more than common sense, 95% of the standards mention there in i've been doing for years. Not really interesting.

Xhtml 1.1 and 2.0 on the other hand look interesting. But still way of or being really usefull, maybe in a year or so it'll be commonly used. The 95% quoted there is all fun and well, but if most of my customers fall in that 'other' 5% i'm pretty fncked if i incorporate new tech into my site(s).

As for xml, it's hype, the concept is sound, but if companies like MS screw it up as their standard format for a new version of word then i'll pass for now...

ps. this isn't a pissing contest, relax dude, don't take it personal. It's not like i'm questioning <i>your</i> professionalism...

Conaill

First Post
You guys got any more samples to tease us with?

Here's a challenge: I'd love to see what your version of the Monk class table looks like, since that's one of the biggest and ugliest tables in there...

Drawmack

First Post
Elvinis75 said:
Okay first let me say that I?m totally jazzed that you willing programmers are working hard at bringing this SRD PDF to a better standard.

Second let me say that some of the thoughts that is rolling around in here are distrubing at best. Having had experience in doing some free programming work I would like to say that pushing people to walk through hoops when they are doing something for free is a good way to leave them disenchanted. Saying that total compatabilities has anything to do with self-respect is ludicris. Any person giving up their free time to help some people out is great person period. Saying that he has to help out nearly everyone to have any self-respect is just plain crazy. So I guess that what I?m saying is that it is rather unfair to judge a persons free work by the standards of that of a paid professional. If a person ends up asking for money out of this then I?m going to pass on it but if I wasn?t I would expect more. By the same token if they are going to offer it to me for free I?m going to accept that it is going to be using the most common standard out there. Like most reasonable people I accept that freeware is just that free. Not the work output of a paid professional. I for one am fine with the > 90% approach. Keep up the good work all.

ummm, did you miss the part where I am one of the people putting together an html/javascript version?

ummm, I am a paid professional but I'm doing this for free.

ummm, I expect that anyone who is a paid professional would put their all into this as someone may see it and hire them for a job, or at least consider them, based on it.

If it is what you do for a living and you're doing some for free that doesn't mean the work should be any lower quality. I appreciate your opinions and even respect them however I think that some of the assumptions they are based on are wrong.

Drawmack

First Post
*suddenly remembers that he comes to enworld to escape the biblical crusades on the programming boards and let's the horse die*

Has anyone else noticed that a good deal of the weapons listed on the table in the equipment section are missing descriptions. Below is a list of the ones I found. If they are listed elsewhere in the SRD could someone point me to them.

Dagger, punching; Mace, light; Club; Mace, heavy; Morningstar; Dart; Axe, throwing; Handaxe; Kukri; Pick, light; Sap; Sword, short; Battleaxe; Longsword; Pick, heavy; Scimitar; Warhammer; Falchion; Greataxe; Greatclub and Greatsword

Conaill

First Post
kreynolds said:
BOT (more or less), does anyone else have any ideas for a color scheme? I'm getting the feeling that a lot of folks like a combo of red and gold, and some like a little rust thrown into that. Any others? I thought of a snake-skin/black leather one the other night, but figured that might be a bit too much. :)
Something remeniscent of the PHB/DMG would be nice. I still have a problem with your current background, despite the color changes. Just looks way to "mechanical", high-tech. If you're going to go for the "tome" look, it needs to be more organic, less "bundle of high precision metal plates hinged together".

I rather like the simplicity of Cergorach and TOGC's backgrounds: just a strip of BW illustration along one side (top for Cergorach, left side for TOGC). Takes up less space, and doesn't draw attention away from the actual contents.

Elvinis75

First Post
Drawmack said:

ummm, did you miss the part where I am one of the people putting together an html/javascript version?

ummm, I am a paid professional but I'm doing this for free.

ummm, I expect that anyone who is a paid professional would put their all into this as someone may see it and hire them for a job, or at least consider them, based on it.

If it is what you do for a living and you're doing some for free that doesn't mean the work should be any lower quality. I appreciate your opinions and even respect them however I think that some of the assumptions they are based on are wrong.

I have no problem with the first two statements.

The third statement is way off the mark. It is making a couple of huge assumptions about who is going to see this, where the person is in their life and whether or not they are even looking for another job. The last time that I put out a program add on it wasn't for any of the reasons that you stated. I just wanted to give some people a little extra fun. I think that you are going to see a lot of people doing this for fun not as a job hunt. If making something completely compatable is fun for you then more power to you. If not for others then please don't look down on them.

The fourth statement is absolutely false. It might be to the same quality and then again it might not. I think that is going to vary by the level of effort that one is forced to make at work. Is someone supposed to stop roleplaying to get this done? They might have to stop roleplaying if they are forced to for work because it is a job. You need to keep job so you can feed your family, keep your house, dog. The level of effort that anyone puts into this is really whatever they care to. If you don't like that I guess that you can keep your high ideals.
Self-respecting :rolleyes:

Conaill

First Post
Drawmack said:
Has anyone else noticed that a good deal of the weapons listed on the table in the equipment section are missing descriptions. Below is a list of the ones I found. If they are listed elsewhere in the SRD could someone point me to them.
I get the impression that WotC needs to do another update of the SRD soon. There's entire chunks missing that couldn't possibly be considered WotC IP. The entire section on siege engines is missing for example. This one's pretty important, because the siege engine rules have changed substantially.

Think I'll send an email to Andrew Smith to see what's up with these gaps... <ok, done>

Staffan

Legend
Drawmack said:

Dagger, punching; Mace, light; Club; Mace, heavy; Morningstar; Dart; Axe, throwing; Handaxe; Kukri; Pick, light; Sap; Sword, short; Battleaxe; Longsword; Pick, heavy; Scimitar; Warhammer; Falchion; Greataxe; Greatclub and Greatsword
I think they only included descriptions of the weapons that actually had some kind of special rules. The weapons above are all "vanilla" - they just hit people and do damage.

Remove ads