• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stacking fire and ice magical effects for weapons.

Black Omega

First Post
This question came up in my last game. A PC has a bow with the frost effect that adds 1d6. The new flame arrow lets you create 50 arrows with the fire effect that adds 1d6. Technically, by the letter of the rules, this seems to stack, but would you let it?

Common sense seems to suggest the fire and frost should cancel each other. But the rules don't make any mention of this. What would you do for stacking conflicting energy types?

eryndel

Explorer
I would probably let it stack. I've seen stats on flaming-shocking, icy-corrosive, and all other sorts of diablo-esque weapons that I don't see why fire and ice should cancel other then flavor.

It's magic. Something upon impact just unleashes a fire and a cold effect. Works for me.

kreynolds

First Post
Black Omega said:
Technically, by the letter of the rules, this seems to stack, but would you let it?

Yes.

Black Omega said:
Common sense seems to suggest the fire and frost should cancel each other. But the rules don't make any mention of this. What would you do for stacking conflicting energy types?

I'd let them stack. It's magic.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I see "fire" and "ice" as nothing more than flavor text. D&D has five elemental damage types, but their actual names are nothing more than flavor. They may as well be Element1, Element2, Element3, Element4, and Element5. Each stacks, some of them cancel out others, but besides that it's all in the description.

That said, I've played a PC with a flaming, icy weapon. I referred to it as a blackfire enchantment, shadowy flames that were so cold they burned. I'm sure others could come up with similar descriptions, or other takes on how the two might combine. Perhaps the flame and ice swirl around each other but do not touch, like opposing streams of magnetic force. Perhaps one side of the blade is cherry-red and burns, while the other side of the blade is icy-white. Etc. etc.

It's flavor text. If it doesn't make sense to you, change it so that it does. :)

Magic Slim

First Post
Freeze "Burn" is just an expression. Although it feels akin to burning, there is no actual burning going on (I'm sure you know that).

Like I said, the rules permit it, but I find it a little silly. Such an enchantment would look great on a double weapon, tho (1 elemental damage / head), or, as alternatives on the same weapon (ie you choose what damage you want to deal)

MS aka TS aka Maitre D

Bauglir

First Post
Every cut with the sword damages surrounding flesh. Some of it is burned, some is 'freeze-burned'. What's the problem?

Remove ads