• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Staff of the Python - Too powerful or does it work differently than what I think?

vtphoenix

First Post
An action to use. Then on every subsequent turn, your group gets an extra attack that does substantial damage (2d6+4) from the snake. It has a lot of HP (at low levels at least) and heals them all when you revert it back to a staff. There doesn't seem to be any limitations on use (e.g. x times per day), so you can revert it back to a staff and then resummons a full HP snake if you want. You do have to attune to it (at low levels, probably not a big deal) and if the snake dies you lose the magic item permanently (although it is hard to kill the snake in the first place).

I feel like I must be missing something because this item seems way too good. When you mentally command the snake on your turn, does it use an action? The book does not suggest that it does but that would make this item a lot more reasonable.

What are your experiences with this item? Is it overpowered?

You've definitely made me give it a second look. It's kind of like a pocket Moon Druid, and if you Mage Armor the snake it will have AC 15 and 60 HP for the next 8 hours. Unlike a Moon Druid though, it can't afford to drop to 0 HP because that destroys the staff permanently.

A Devil's Sight warlock would love it because the snake has blindsight, so can fight within his sphere of Darkness at advantage, and a Necromancer would love it because restraining enemies makes it easier to shoot them with skeletons. A Lore Bard would be able to protect his snake somewhat, letting him take more risks and get more use out of each activation before turning it back into a staff.

So, I think this is an item that helps your spell economy by making easy fights easier, without making hard fights easier except for not having spent resources in the easy fights. Approximately comparable to hiring three Hobgoblin mercenaries to shoot arrows (with Martial Advantage) at anything you're fighting with. Compared to the Hobgoblins, the staff saves you 30ish gp a month and some social problems with people who don't trust Hobgoblins in polite society, and it costs you some babysitting. Probably not OP in a real campaign, but if you find one you might as well use it.

ad_hoc

(they/them)

Overpowered compared to what? Other magic items? There are a ton that are more powerful.

There are a few magic items that are game breaking (Deck of Many Things for example), this is not one of them.

MarkB

Legend
If you're concerned about it, then maybe give it a Short Rest recharge, so the player has to choose which fights to deploy it in.

Remove ads