Stalker0's Obsidian Skill Challenge System (NEW VERSION: 1.2!!!)

msherman

First Post
That makes sense. Would it be possible to post the inputs/assumptions behind those simulations? By that I mean what skill levels you assume the party will have at each level -- how do you account for ability score bumps and accumulated magic items?

Stalker0

Legend
That makes sense. Would it be possible to post the inputs/assumptions behind those simulations? By that I mean what skill levels you assume the party will have at each level -- how do you account for ability score bumps and accumulated magic items?

Much of that is in the pdf itself. I talk about assumptions that go into the DCs, and ways you can tweak the DCs to fit your party.

DQuartermane

First Post
Hey Stalker0,
Got a question for you. Forgive me for not searching through the older post. But I thought I would go straight for the source. What is the difference versus Obsidian and the Alternate Core Skill Challenge System.

Now I know there will be a difference in the math, but besides the hard crunch what is the difference. Now if there is a huge math difference so be it. But I was wondering if there was a big RP difference. I hope I am making some sense. Thanks for your help and I have downloaded Obsidian to look at for now. Thanks again.

Stalker0

Legend
Hey Stalker0,
Got a question for you. Forgive me for not searching through the older post. But I thought I would go straight for the source. What is the difference versus Obsidian and the Alternate Core Skill Challenge System.

A big one in fact.

The alternate system uses the same mechanics as the WOTC skill challenge system. I curbed much of the math imbalances in the system, and added new options. However, many of the problems with the original system are ingrained in the math model they used, there's no getting around that.

Obsidian is a brand new design. It is a simplier system, has fewer options, and is also sturdier than the other system. It can tolerate a DM just throwing a +2 here or there much easier than my other system can.

In the end its really a question of what your group wants. Ultimately my group liked Obsidian better so that's the one I support most since I get to actively playtest it.

DQuartermane

First Post
Okay, I get it. Alternative System is based on 4E where as Obsidian is your own creations. Thanks for the info. If I have anything else I will let you know.

I know this is far out there and tangential, but has anyone thought of using something along these lines as a replacement system for combat itself? That is, instead of tactical grid-based action-by-action combat a system based on a party's general tactics and the DM adjudicating DCs based on how viable their powers and strategy seem in comparison to those of the enemies? I like D&D combat as its own mini-game, but it often feels like fun:timespent ratio is far far lower than that for skill challenges I've run, and I would like plot to move faster. Just curious since I've enjoyed Obsidian skill challenges.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
The PDF seems to be broken for me. I'm using Adobe Reader version 8.1.2. Another PDF of your stuff (the skill challenges sheet v1.8) works fine.

catsclaw227

First Post
This is great. I used it a couple of sessions ago, along with the skill challenges from the Gladiator article and it got major kudos from the group.

Great job!

dammitbiscuit

First Post
I have no specific requests or comments, but I just wanted to drop in and say thanks for making such a solid, fun system. I play in the RPGA with a character that doesn't have very many trained skills, and I HATE how the standard challenges encourage group members to pass or aid another. In my home game, I love seeing my players all grab their dice and get bold when a skill challenge comes up.

Harr

First Post
The file download in the OP is corrupt, or at least my acrobat reports it as such, have tried to download it 3 times and nothing :(

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases