• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

*Standard* Array

Herschel

Adventurer
I too seem to be a big fan of 17,15,13,10,10,8.

Generally I find the 18 too expensive to afford, but I still want a big number in my prime stat.

Yep, and I like the boost at Level 4 to my primary attack stat. In part because it can mean I don't have to spend a feat on expertise, in part because the level, stat and feat bonus gives a nice power boost if I go that way.

Obryn

Hero
I never, ever buy up to an 18 right off the bat with point-buy. I think 16 is the practical limit, but in some cases - like if you took a race without a bonus in your prime attribute, like for a dwarven fighter - a 17 can be worthwhile.

I tend to gravitate toward sets with two 16's, but getting a well-rounded character can rock, too. For example, if I were doing a heavy blade fighter, I'd probably go with 16 Strength, 14 Dex, 14 Wis, 13 Con. Sometimes you need to spread things out a bit in order to qualify for the best feats.

Odd scores don't bug me, frankly. At some level ranges, they're even preferable because of the Paragon bump.

-O

Obryn

Hero
Hah, yeah, I was beginning to wonder...does anyone actually roll their stats anymore?

I actually still find that the most rewarding.
For AD&D, I do.

Not for 3e or 4e, though. I got way too burned in 3e with rolled stats. It was nearly impossible to balance encounters for me.

-O

Cadfan

First Post
My group exclusively uses 16/14/13/12/11/10. We know it isn't optimal, but its equally unoptimal for basically everyone in the game, and it provides enough room to exceed at what you're good at, while still having points to spread around for flavor.

The only classes that are disadvantaged by its use are ones with multiple primary attack stats, if you decide to use both attack stats. So clerics that use both strength and wisdom, for example. We haven't had any of those, but we might alter our system if we did.

This isn't a case of finding the best array, mind you. Its more a case of finding an array that's good enough, and adopting it in order to simplify things and avoid an arms race to 18/14/10/10/10/8.

Remove ads