• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

*Standard* Array

Really? I don't (and have never) seen an 8 as a "very low stat" in any edition of D&D. Sure, it's worse than average, but that's what I see it as.

I guess it's a question of what you're used to. As I said, I do sometimes deliberately go for an 8 for RP purposes, if that's how I see the character. But if I don't have such a "weakness" in mind already, I tend to see "average" as the baseline. (These are adventurers, after all. People who are too below average don't tend to survive. ;))

I don't think I've ever seen a 4e character that uses the "standard" array...

Heh. Except in a campaign where we rolled, I've almost never seen one that doesn't.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
I've usually played MAD classes (1H Fighter (str-con), Taclord (int-str), StarLock (cha-con), Balanced Cleric (str-wis)) so I favor the 16, 16, 12, 12, 10, 8 build myself.

Rogues/Rangers/Wizards I can see buying the 20s, however.

mevers

First Post
The only time I'll choose an odd stat is when I need it to hit a feat pre-req (usually 13) and it then won't be bumped, or when I can see that I'll be able to get away with bumping an odd pair of secondary/tertiary stats.

Except then I still will generally start with a 12, and let it increase to 13 at level 11 "naturally" to avoid the odd stat.

amysrevenge

First Post
For some reason, I think it is the powergamer in me, but I really hate starting with odd stats, as then you have a left over stat point (from leveling up) at level 30, and that just seems like a "waste."

I used to be like that, then I realized that the way I play it will be forever until I hit level 28 anyway, and if I can get a lot more mileage out of it right now...

Also, it feels nice to get that extra little boost at level 4, rather than having to wait for level 8. And a second one at 11, instead of waiting for 14. Etc.

TheNovaLord

First Post
yeah Vag...everthing seems so sterile in character creation in 4e using defaults.

roll 18d6 and put groups of 3 in whatever stats you wish, i say.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I've been thinking about this lately. I have noticed myself in a rut, so to speak, with character creation. I will choose 18,14,11,10,10,8 or 17,15,13,10,10,8 almost exclusively when building a character.

Has anyone else found what they feel is an optimal stat array?

Jay
Not one optimal array, no; but several favorites with a central tendency. Most of the time I find myself trying 16-14-14-13-10-8 first, but it depends on the race and class: Humans only get one +2 boost, so that limits me; also, MAD classes need to be fiddled with more to get where I want to go.
I drew up an elf Cleric using 16-13-13-13-12-10, and a human Druid (from the Forgotten Heroes class, not the WotC class) using 16-14-14-13-10-8, and an elf Troubadour (from the Advanced Player's Guide) using 16-15-13-12-11-8 (it's both MAD and Psychic, so I wanted an 11 in WIS to get +2-boosted 13 at Level 1 to qualify for Dark Fury before Paragon, because I wouldn't boost it by choice at 4 or 8 -- I need those boosts for the two attack stats).

Turtlejay

First Post
In 3.5 the only place I would stick an odd was in strength (because it still helped your carry capacity). In 4e if I have an odd left over I most likely stick in in constitution, since it still gives you an extra hitpoint. I hate odds. 5e should do away with the +1 for ever 2 points over 10.

Jay

Remove ads