[+] Star Trek Discovery (Fan) Thread

Mallus

Legend
I does leave the big hole of "what about other ways of space travel?"
That's not a hole, though. Interstellar travel still exists. Book has a starship, and he mentions at least two alternate FTL propulsion methods in the episode. The Burn sounds like a political crisis that occurred in the wake of an enormous widespread natural disaster which caused the collapse of the civilizations that relied on dilithium-based warp drives.

Or, imagine what would happen if every internal combustion engine on Earth exploded tomorrow. It wouldn't put a permanent end to travel. We'd learn to cope eventually (some places better than others). But pretty much every government & economy would fall apart.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Ok, first off, I rewatched seasons 1 and 2 in preparation for this and one thing I realised: Damn, the klingons growing hair between the seasons totally changed the feel of their character. I really didn’t like the reimagined klingons of season 1, eventhough I could see where they came from with the design, but then just add hair and I love the new look.

Another thing that springs to mind, both seasons were pretty much taking a major concept of single ST episodes and turning them into whole seasons. So, Season 1 was pretty much Mirror Universe Season, even if we realise it only at after the halfway point. And Season 2 is pretty much Time Travel / Section 31 Season. So, that makes me anticipate that Season 3 will have a similar theme that becomes clear at episode 6 or 7... I’m betting on Q at this point... I’m betting on the cat being a Q 😂 Yeah, if that happens you can call me a prophet...

I really liked the start of the season. The starfleet clerk made no sense the way he was portrayed, but maybe he has more to his life than was shown. If not, then he’s just seriously creepy...

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
And now, for a confession: I had tears in my eyes when they unfurled the sadly-diminished Federation banner. Sahil was great: a dignified, solitary civil servant dutifully manning his space office late in the Federation’s long twilight (or night). A celebration of TNG's heroic board room meetings that made technocratic professionalism an important part of boldly going.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That guy lives alone in a space office and gets up every morning and sits at a desk and waits all day in an empty room at a desk for a comissioned officer from a long-dead civilization to show up, and then goes to bed, and then does the same thing the next day, every day, until suddenly Michael Burnham appears and goes "oh, I'm a Starfleet officer and now you are too!"

I feel like I missed something.

You missed the fact that you have a tendency to be selectively literal, I think. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
One thing I meant to mention: Is anyone else concerned about that little snippet in the opening titles of hundreds of Starfleet droids being produced? That's one way to make up for lack of numbers, I guess - but I wonder how smart they are, and how that follows on from the whole artificial-life controversy in Picard.

It seems to me that the artificial life issues in Picard are not clearly separate from Discovery's conflict with Control.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, going by this episode it sure is Star Trek crossing over to copy Star Wars, and specifically copy The Maldlorian.

Hardly. As noted by someone else, this is really taken from Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda from 20 years ago - a ship of the Federation/Commonwealth is lost in time, and comes back to find the culture fallen, and sets about trying to re-establish what was lost. Roddenberry used similar themes in two other TV pilots in the early 1970s, before Star Wars ever happened.

So, no, not copying the Mandalorian.

Remove ads