Star Trek Picard extended Comic-Con trailer

Hussar

Legend
Why would anyone rebuild Lal, specifically? She was important to Data. Data is gone. There's no emotional reason to bring back Lal.

In terms of technology - remember, we are talking about an android whose positronic brain was unstable and catastrophically failed. Not a sound technological basis on which to build something. If you really wanted to bring back an android, you'd resurrect Data in B-4s body, and not have to stretch much credulity to do it. B-4 was simple, but at least stable.

Hrmmm, there is only one sentient machine in the Federation and that's Data. He built a copy of himself (more or less) that didn't work, but, is still built based on the most advanced positronic brain in existence. Two or three decades go by and someone thinks, "Hrmmm, I wonder if I could make that work and create a SECOND truly sentient machine intelligence."

Not exactly a huge stretch. Considering you've basically only got two choices - B4 or Lal - if you wanted to recreate Dr. Soong's work.

Now, to be fair, I don't think it's Lal. I agree that it most likely isn't. I'm just saying that it's not as much of a stretch as people seem to think.

MarkB

Legend
It's not as though sentient AIs are a stretch technologically in the Federation. Heck, leave a holodeck running for more than half an hour and you stand an even chance of at least one character in there spontaneously achieving free will. No need to dig up old prototypes.

Remove ads