Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Woah...

It surpassed my expectations. I was all like ... they went there??? And they pulled it off!

My couch-mate, SZK, will post a review at some point in the future. But right now SZK is just rocking back and forth whispering* "JAMES TIBERIUS KIRK .... JAMES TIBERIUS KIRK ...." over and over.

(Yeah, SZK even whispers in all-caps.)

damiller

Adventurer
No, it's prime, isn't it? What would make it not so?

(this episode was an alternate timeline vision created by the time crystal, but the show itself isn't)
thank you,

that makes sense, I haven't watched the episode yet, but I thought in the thread there had been some talk about this not being in Prime Universe. Whew...I thought I missed something.

I am looking forward to the finale, this whole show has reenergized my Star Trek love!!

Hex08

Hero
so, is SNW not in the Prime universe? I mean is it an alternate timeline?
Technically yes it's Prime but honestly, I sometimes feel like all of the Paramount+ series, except Lower Decks, are an alternate timeline. I feel like we have three timelines: TOS through Enterprise is the Prime timeline and then the Abramsverse and the P+ timelines (with Lower Decks likely being an exception and set in Prime). I know that's not the official stance but that's where my head canon goes sometimes.

Checkout this video from TrekCulture where they interview Doug Drexler.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So is Kirk in s2 or not? Or was that all just a bluff so they could surprise us with him in this episode?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
So is Kirk in s2 or not? Or was that all just a bluff so they could surprise us with him in this episode?
If you touch this time crystal, you will be able to see if Kirk is in Season 2... But you will also be able to see the horrible things that happen in the future due to the casting of the next season...

Stalker0

Legend
I liked the season finale, but in general I think ST overuses time travel.
Time Travel is in a lot of ways like Q, its practically "magic" compared to the other more technological things in ST. There are so many ways to time travel in ST, and some of them are nuts. Take this one....touch this "magic" crystal and see into the future.

But its well established in the lore at this point, just as telepathy exists but is never really explained in biological terms, its just a thing certain races can do. So we smile, nod, and move on.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
One thing I really liked about this season finale was how it focused on the differences between captains.

I feel like there are endless discussions of the differences in captains between different series. But it's much more rare for those differences to be presented like this in a single episode! Also the fact that this wasn't a "good captain" vs "bad captain" comparison made it even more exciting and fun to watch. The two captains both had strategies coming from their own experiences and instincts... Getting to see those strategies play out was fantastic!

Man, what a great show!

Remove ads