Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I kinda hope no Khan. Singh is a very very common name, after all.

There is very little chance that, with an old villain named "Kahn Noonien Singh", that a new character named "La'an Noonien Singh" will not be somehow related.

I would not expect Kahn to appear, but the history will be referenced.

The name Kahn Noonian Singh and Dr. Noonian Soong are similar, as they both reference to the real-world person Kim Noonien Singh, a friend of Gene Roddenberry's from WWII. Roddenberry used the name in hopes that his old friend would see it, and try to reach out to him. And Roddenberry just liked reusing names.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
We decided to watch Ep 1 of DS9 last night for some reason ..... my wife remembered every crew member, but not Sisko!

I will likely re-watch the whole thing, I don't remember much of it....

Some of the writing around the aliens behind the prophet....was....not great. They didn't understand loss or death, but wanted to kill Sisko because he would destroy them?

Anyway, I don't have Paramount, so I haven't seen any of the new Trek, and I'm not sure if I need to (as much as I love Trek).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I would not expect Kahn to appear, but the history will be referenced.

Hm. You know, there's a chance that they're recycling one of Roddenberry's ideas here...

Anyone watch Andromeda, back in 2000-2005? Remember the character Tyr Anasazi?

This was originally a Roddenberry concept, re-adapted by Robert Hewitt Wolfe, and produced by Majel Barrett. In it, there's "The Commonwealth", a generally beneficent interstellar union, that is brought down by treachery. One of the ships of the Commonwealth Navy, the titular Andromeda Ascendant (which is sentient) and her captain Dylan Hunt, wind up launched into the future, to awaken to a fallen Commonwealth, which they then proceed to try to revive.

Now, much of this we have seen on Discovery - launched into the future to find a fallen Federation, a ship becoming sentient, and trying to rebuild.

But, we can also look back to how the Commonwealth fell - at the hands of a eugenics-minded, genetically engineered people (originally of human stock) called the Nietzscheans, who are really a continuation of the concepts introduced to us in Space Seed and Kahn Noonian Singh.

So, like they are reusing some of Roddenberry's ideas in Discover, they may be using others in Strange New Worlds, where La'an is playing the same basic role as foil for Captain Pike...

Ryujin

Legend
Hm. You know, there's a chance that they're recycling one of Roddenberry's ideas here...

This was originally a Roddenberry concept, re-adapted by Robert Hewitt Wolfe, and produced by Majel Barrett. In it, there's "The Commonwealth", a generally beneficent interstellar union, that is brought down by treachery. One of the ships of the Commonwealth Navy, the titular Andromeda Ascendant (which is sentient) and her captain Dylan Hunt, wind up launched into the future, to awaken to a fallen Commonwealth, which they then proceed to try to revive.

Now, much of this we have seen on Discovery - launched into the future to find a fallen Federation, a ship becoming sentient, and trying to rebuild.

But, we can also look back to how the Commonwealth fell - at the hands of a eugenics-minded, genetically engineered people (originally of human stock) called the Nietzscheans, who are really a continuation of the concepts introduced to us in Space Seed and Kahn Noonian Singh.

So, like they are reusing some of Roddenberry's ideas in Discover, they may be using others in Strange New Worlds, where La'an is playing the same basic role as foil for Captain Pike...
Had a similar thought, myself. We do know from DS9 that the practice of genetic manipulation did extend, underground, into later times.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

I loved that show. Always felt like it didn't get the attention it deserved.

Btw I really need to watch Disco I guess. I had no idea that was the plot!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I loved that show. Always felt like it didn't get the attention it deserved.

Um, that's because Kevin Sorbo ruined it (IMHO). Details available upon request.

Btw I really need to watch Disco I guess. I had no idea that was the plot!

It is really a development in the third season. I suspect the 4th season to deal with it rather more.

Mallus

Legend
I admit to some mixed feelings about a crew member with the surname "Noonien Singh". Didn't see it coming, not sure what to make of it. I will say it gives the show a chance to modernize Trek's approach to transhumanism, to move it away from the aftermath of the Eugenics Wars and do something less, hmmm, old-fashioned with it (as they did with Bashir).

Remove ads