Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

The teaser for this new show implies that they are going back to the optimistic world view of classic trek, with a captain that tries to solve problems through diplomacy and intellect rather than firepower. I really hope that is what it turns out to be.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And if it's anything less than unremittingly bleak, if there isn't some universe-ending threat that needs to be prevented from existing, if there are worlds out there where people are living happy lives, then nobody has the right to undo that timeline simply because their own tiny corner of one little galaxy didn't turn out as cushy as they were hoping it would.

At the moment, I'm expecting one of a couple possibilities.

1) This is the end of Discovery's time travel. They are in the future (well, one future, which could again be rewritten by something else) and they aren't undoing or coming back.

2) The future they see is due to Discovery's departure from th 23rd century. And, while they may angst over how some people may have some semblance of "happy" in the future, in the balance what they've done created pain and misery for many billions over centuries, and "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" kicks in.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Sorry about that. Morrus mentioned a lot of stuff is unavailable outside of US. ☹ I don't know if I can find an alternate source.

The cast of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds has been revealed. Joining Anson Mount (Captain Christopher Pike), Rebecca Romijn (Una Chin-Riley/Number One) and Ethan Peck (Spock), will be Babs Olusanmokun as Dr. M’Benga, Christina Chong as La’an Noonien Singh, Celia Rose Gooding as Cadet Nyota Uhura, Jess Bush as Nurse Christine Chapel, Melissa Navia as Lt. Erica Ortegas, and Bruce Horak as Hemmer.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Probably, as I could see it just fine.

Brigning back Uhura, Nurse Chapel, and Dr. M'benga is cool.
And seeing basically the crew that was first imagined for TOS, but with even more diversity on a ship that was already quite diverse, and a blue alien like Spock was originally! 😂

Rad as hell!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
and a blue alien like Spock was originally! 😂

Rad as hell!

Red as hell, actually.

As I know the story, Spock was originally going to have red skin (and be from Mars, the Vulcan concept came later). However, in the late 1960s, black and white TV sets were still common, and the makeup would have looked like dark-grey or black - as if Nimoy were wearing blackface - which nobody wanted.

So, they decided to mix up was a yellowish-greenish hue (which is still sold by RCMA as L-N #1, as in 'Leonard Nimoy #1'). This is a bit of a subtle color, so that for the first few episodes, the network's color technicians, who weren't told he was supposed to be different from the rest of the crew, corrected him back to normal human skin tone.

Remove ads