Star Trek TNG Re-watch

Mercurius

Legend
A few weeks ago I started binge re-watching Star Trek: The Next Generation, which while I've seen probably 80% of the episodes, never seen all the way through and haven't really watched much of since it came out.

First of all, while Season One is famously sub-par, I actually thought S2 was worse, or at least not better enough to make up for the loss of that fresh feeling. I'm now deep into S3 and there seems to be a marked improvement.

Secondly, the show is good. Sometimes really good, and in stark contrast to the shows of the last couple decades in terms of its optimism and big-thinking. I can contrast this with the show Sharp Objects, which I just watched and enjoyed, but--while a very different genre--was just so damn dark and depressing, with no sense of hope about humanity. I really like the fact that Gene Roddenberry tried to depict a future humanity that had actually evolved in terms of culture and relationships, not just technologically. Most of all, it is really fun to watch a show not focused on human pathos or trauma, but Big Ideas.

Anyhow, I plan to continue my Startrekaganza for months to come, watching the rest of TNG and re-watching the films and then moving on to Picard, which I still haven't seen. After that, I'll play it by ear. I might go back and finish the first season of Discovery, watch the second season, or maybe dive into either Deep Space Nine (which I never watched a full episode of) or Voyager (which I only watched the first season of). I may or may not try Enterprise. I love the original series, but have watched some of those more recently.

fba827

Adventurer
Yeah, season 2 TNG, I’ve seen each of those episodes once, only. Aside from stories and pacing, I don’t know if it was the character or the actress delivery, but I was just bothered anytime dr Pulaski spoke.

ccs

41st lv DM
Ok, since you've seen S1 of Voyager, you already know you'll have to tough it out for a bit until it improves. If you can get through S2? Then things improve S3+ (when the writers start getting creative with the hologram doctor).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, TNG was pretty dire until s3 or 4. The early uniforms and cruddy CGI didn't help, either. And how young does everybody look? Yikes! Riker's a baby!

Zardnaar

Legend
We tried as non trekkies a couple of years ago and got bogged down early season 1.

Never really got that from DS9 and we managed to get through and enjoy it a lot.

I've had trekkies recommend just to skip to season 3.

I try to avoid any Next Gen where Riker hasn't adopted a beard yet. There's a reason the reverse of the 'jump the shark' trope is called "Riker's Beard"

I am generally more of a DS9 person myself because as soemone said, it shows the Federation and more of a 'real' galaxy. I always loved that Bashir arrived on the station all excited to be a 'frontier doctor' and tending to the 'natives' and Kira disabused him of that notion pretty quickly.

Zardnaar

Legend
I try to avoid any Next Gen where Riker hasn't adopted a beard yet. There's a reason the reverse of the 'jump the shark' trope is called "Riker's Beard"

I am generally more of a DS9 person myself because as soemone said, it shows the Federation and more of a 'real' galaxy. I always loved that Bashir arrived on the station all excited to be a 'frontier doctor' and tending to the 'natives' and Kira disabused him of that notion pretty quickly.

DS9 seems to be the most consistent Trek.

pukunui

Legend
I tried to get my kids into TNG a few years back. Made the mistake of opting to start from the beginning. They were not at all impressed by "Encounter at Far Point" and that was the end of it.

I've been thinking about doing some "highlights tours", though ... like watching all the Q-related episodes and all the Borg-related ones and so on.

Haven't seen Picard yet either.

I liked DS9 and hated Voyager. Stopped watching both around the time TNG ended.

Zardnaar

Legend
I tried to get my kids into TNG a few years back. Made the mistake of opting to start from the beginning. They were not at all impressed by "Encounter at Far Point" and that was the end of it.

I've been thinking about doing some "highlights tours", though ... like watching all the Q-related episodes and all the Borg-related ones and so on.

Haven't seen Picard yet either.

I liked DS9 and hated Voyager. Stopped watching both around the time TNG ended.

We also tried voyager and gave up about 5 episodes into it.

Wife's very big on "life's to short for bad TV".

We are running low on shows to watch so might do TNG season 3 start.

Remove ads