Star Trek TNG Re-watch

pukunui

Legend
We also tried voyager and gave up about 5 episodes into it.

Wife's very big on "life's to short for bad TV".

We are running low on shows to watch so might do TNG season 3 start.
I remember thinking the first few episodes were OK, and I did stick with it for a while, but it ended up getting too soap opera-ish for my taste. I understand it got better around when they hit Borg space but meh. I agree with your wife.

Zardnaar

Legend
I remember thinking the first few episodes were OK, and I did stick with it for a while, but it ended up getting too soap opera-ish for my taste. I understand it got better around when they hit Borg space but meh. I agree with your wife.

I put on Cobra Kai last night, she was meh before it started

I suspect she enjoyed it going by here reactions and lack of Switch play.

I tried to get my kids into TNG a few years back. Made the mistake of opting to start from the beginning. They were not at all impressed by "Encounter at Far Point" and that was the end of it.

I've been thinking about doing some "highlights tours", though ... like watching all the Q-related episodes and all the Borg-related ones and so on.

They have on DVD fan collections based on different themes Star Trek: Fan Collective

That will list the all,so you'll be able to find the episodes on your streamer.

Mallus

Legend
Re: TNG S02... I can't be too critical of a season that has 2 of the series best episodes -- "A Matter of Honor" and "The Measure of the Man", introduces the Borg -- when they where at their most intimidating -- and has fun episodes like "Elementary, Dear Data", "Contagion", and the one with the Pakleds (they make thing go!).

Plus, Pulaski is a good character. She's a thorny, believable doctor who brings some tension to the show.

Mercurius

Legend
Re: TNG S02... I can't be too critical of a season that has 2 of the series best episodes -- "A Matter of Honor" and "The Measure of the Man", introduces the Borg -- when they where at their most intimidating -- and has fun episodes like "Elementary, Dear Data", "Contagion", and the one with the Pakleds (they make thing go!).

Plus, Pulaski is a good character. She's a thorny, believable doctor who brings some tension to the show.

Agree on all accounts. Measure was very touching, and lots of fun episodes.

Diana Muldaur is a better actress than Gates McFadden, imo, but definitely a bit grating. I'm not sure what the story is behind the switch and switchback, other than evidently Patrick Stewart wanted Crusher back, maybe to develop the romance.

I seem to remember there was some guy on the writing staff for the show that didn't like Gates McFadden or something (possibly because she didn't like some of the more sexist stuff that was written for the female characters), but they got rid of him again after season 2 and could get Beverly back.
I just didn't like Pulaski as character. She was mean to my boy Data. And her transporter skepticism and country doctor attiude was just a McCoy rehash. And, well... she isn't a redhead. (at least not at the time of the show...)

It's kinda shocking what kind of sexist* or misogynist behavior went on behind the scenes. Terry Farrell leaving was apparently something similar, allegedly there were a few sexist remarks she kept hearing, and she wanted to have a reduced role to get a bit of a break after 6 years of doing the same thing, something they did for Colm Meaney, they claimed she was no one without the show and she should ever stay full time or get written out, and she didn't feel respected and then decided to leave entirely. It could possibly have been all avoided if someone had talked to Ira Behr about the issues behind it, but apparently he heard of it much later.

Still, I guess it's proves you can still make good shows presenting good values even if the people involved are flawed.

(I am aware of a certain double standard here, talking critically about sexism when I call out Diana Muldaur out for not having red hair like Gates McFadden. I am aware of the beam in my eye when I talk about the speck in Trek production's eye... )

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I tried to get my kids into TNG a few years back. Made the mistake of opting to start from the beginning. They were not at all impressed by "Encounter at Far Point" and that was the end of it.

I've been thinking about doing some "highlights tours", though ... like watching all the Q-related episodes and all the Borg-related ones and so on.

Haven't seen Picard yet either.

I liked DS9 and hated Voyager. Stopped watching both around the time TNG ended.

There's a saying that the golden age of science fiction is 13. Probably the kids are into anime these days? (Or you may have non-geeky kids, which is always ironic...)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I seem to remember there was some guy on the writing staff for the show that didn't like Gates McFadden or something (possibly because she didn't like some of the more sexist stuff that was written for the female characters), but they got rid of him again after season 2 and could get Beverly back.

The "some guy on the writing staff" was Maurice Hurley, the head writer and showrunner at the time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases