Star Trek TNG Re-watch

pukunui

Legend
There's a saying that the golden age of science fiction is 13. Probably the kids are into anime these days? (Or you may have non-geeky kids, which is always ironic...)
My girls are pretty geeky. They all love Star Wars. The older two have seen the newer Star Trek movies and enjoy them. I think maybe they just found the old TNG stuff too slow for their tastes. I think they're more into action than intellectual stuff.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My girls are pretty geeky.

My pseudo-goddaughter is going through this with her dad, who is showing her a selection from each Trek series. She just doesn't find the characters on any Trek series so far to be engaging of themselves, and they aren't telling stories she cares about. She is going through the exercise mostly for sake of understanding genre history, but... she seems pretty bored by the proceedings.

pukunui

Legend
I have to admit, I was a bit bored re-watching Encounter at Far Point. I think the highlights reels are probably the best way to go. Now I just need to find the time ...

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Full warning DS9 goes cynical in a lot of aspects, it shows that outside of Earth and the core federation worlds that it's not all rosy. On the other hand unlike previous Trek it has full story arcs/myth arcs.

DS9 is hands down the best series. Even as the "cynical" Trek it's pretty idealistic by today's standards.

It starts a little slow, but it doesn't take that long to get good - and then they've got you hooked. Also, it does complete the "arc" of most of it's characters by the end and wraps up in a satisfying way. And the chemistry the cast develops is as good as the original Star Trek crew.

Zardnaar

Legend
DS9 is hands down the best series. Even as the "cynical" Trek it's pretty idealistic by today's standards.

It starts a little slow, but it doesn't take that long to get good - and then they've got you hooked. Also, it does complete the "arc" of most of it's characters by the end and wraps up in a satisfying way. And the chemistry the cast develops is as good as the original Star Trek crew.

Yeah this is the way I see it. Enjoyed our DS9 binge watch and it wasn't that bad season 1. Great characters.

Not a trekkie but maybe the best of TNG is better than the best of DS9 but yeah that early TNG is awful.

As much flak the new trek gets I would put both of them ahead of TNG season 1.

Orius

Legend
Early TNG had a lot of behind the scenes problems. Those problems started going away by season 3, and the show definitely improved as a result.

DS9 started off stronger, and just got better as it developed its own personality. Even its weakest episodes mostly don't feel as bad as the weakest parts of TNG or VOY.

Zardnaar

Legend
Early TNG had a lot of behind the scenes problems. Those problems started going away by season 3, and the show definitely improved as a result.

DS9 started off stronger, and just got better as it developed its own personality. Even its weakest episodes mostly don't feel as bad as the weakest parts of TNG or VOY.

Yeah this is how I see it. A few were a bit slow or filler but none were really awful or I don't want to watch this.

Sisko what's the worst you can say. He's a bit bombastic sometimes?

The Ferengi episodes were also great. Their culture was changing by the end and yeah. Just great character and world building.

Mercurius

Legend
Deep into Season 4 now. Really enjoying it - the quality level started rising with S3, and S4 has been mostly good. The two-part Borg story was just fantastic; it really felt like the first TNG movie.

Now I find myself wanting to get a couple toys. Any recommendations for smallish (and relatively affordable) metal ship models? The Eaglemoss line seems decent, about $25 per ship.

Deep into Season 4 now. Really enjoying it - the quality level started rising with S3, and S4 has been mostly good. The two-part Borg story was just fantastic; it really felt like the first TNG movie.

A few years ago they showed it in some theaters as a movie and there's also this Amazon.com: Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Best of Both Worlds (Blu-ray +UltraViolet): Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, LeVar Burton, Michael Dorn, Gates McFadden, Marina Sirtis, Cliff Bole: Movies & TV

Remove ads