D&D 5E Star Wars Force Users in 5e

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, I've done pretty well with an artificer recreating my Star Wars Saga Edition "tech jedi", especially with a lenient DM (invisible mage hand) and a level 1 bonus feat, but other force using characters are harder.

So, for an idea what I'm talking about my artillerist artificer Kid uses

Mark of Making Human, Spell Sniper (loosely interpreted so it works on mage hand and message), Armor of Tools infusion

Mage Hand, Message, Catapult, Magic Weapon (race spell), Thunderwave (force blast, in case it's not obv), Identify and Detect Magic and skill expert to get expertise arcana all help simulate sense force stuff, Jump and Longstrider (IMO they should be one spell), shield (flavored as block/deflect),

Her droidified prosthetic arm with a miniaturised blaster pistol built in was easy as an artificer

But I have been wanting to play the umbaran force monk I used to play, built in 5e, and I'm going to need to make a Force Adept Monk subclass.

What I'm thinking is gaining spells, invisible mage hand and telepathic message cantrip, ability to cast detect magic as a ritual (and maybe some others), level 6 upgrade to step of the wind to really force jump/run, and somewhere in there you gotta have real Move Object that can throw creatures or objects around. I guess the really good telekinesis could just be the feat.

What do y'all think?

What abilities already exist in 5e that let you play something like a force adept or jedi character, and what are the most important abilities that aren't spells that a force adept monk would need?

The force adepts are different in the sense the Force is not a vacian system. Theorically their powers are at-will, without reload time.

Isn't there any homemade jedi class? Have you searched the jedi class when it was d20 system?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Would it be better to use the Mystic from UA, with the Immortal subclass?

Talent: Mystic Hand, Mystic Charm, Light Step
Discipline: Force Mastery, Celerity, Intellect Fortress, Aura Sight, Precognition
Feat: Telekinetic, Alert

Or, more easily,
Monk, Astral Self (your actual astral self awakening being invisible)
Feat: Telekinetic (force push and invisible mage hand!), Alert, Gift of the Gem Dragon (refluff as needed), Telepathic (depending on your concept).

doctorbadwolf

Isn't the Psi Warrior Fighter the obvious choice here? Maybe pick up some feats for additional thematic magic spells.

Aberrant Mind Sorcerer is a solid take on a "these aren't the droids you're looking for" jedi.
I’m pretty much never going to go for an existing option when I’ve asked for ideas on a new option. I’d play the fighter if I felt it did what I want.

Sorry, dumb way to reply to someone.

Those are both decent force users, for sure. IMO the fighter can’t make a great Jedi because it relies on armor.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

The force adepts are different in the sense the Force is not a vacian system. Theorically their powers are at-will, without reload time.

Isn't there any homemade jedi class? Have you searched the jedi class when it was d20 system?

I’ve generally not loved them lol I’m picky
Would it be better to use the Mystic from UA, with the Immortal subclass?

Talent: Mystic Hand, Mystic Charm, Light Step
Discipline: Force Mastery, Celerity, Intellect Fortress, Aura Sight, Precognition
Feat: Telekinetic, Alert
Maybe. It’s been a long time since I checked that out. I really like the baseline speed, agility, warrior abilities, of the monk. The character I played that inspired the question was a Teras Kasi force martial artist.

Speaking of which…I wonder the best way to formulate the ability to make your punches deal extra fire damage.
Or, more easily,
Monk, Astral Self (your actual astral self awakening being invisible)
Feat: Telekinetic (force push and invisible mage hand!), Alert, Gift of the Gem Dragon (refluff as needed), Telepathic (depending on your concept).
Hadn’t thought of the gem dragon feat. Interesting. Force Repulse.
I had similar thoughts. A Warlock with customized invocations seems like it might work.
Warlock definitely has the ability to be a good force user, sure.

Also personally I don’t see the force powers as at-will. some minor stuff sure, but like move object?

Davies

Legend
This is what I came up with a long time ago, on a forum far far away.

The Way of the Mind
All monks draw on the hidden powers of the mind and spirit to enhance the body, but followers of this tradition do so in ways that defy imagination. Its techniques are known to strengthen the body, but also the perceptions and even the presence of the monk. The path these aescetic warriors follow typically leads them to one of two destinations -- either a cool detachment from worldly concerns, or a total embrace of every emotional impulse.

In the Known World, this path is taught only at the Kenobe Monastery in the Soderfjord Jarldoms, established some seventy years ago by a companion of Hamesh the Pathfinder. Ostensibly devoted to the god Frey, the monastery has produced few true monks in its existence, but serves a vital role in guarding and protecting the caravan route that leads north from Jotunvalk Pass. The people of the Castellan Valley aren't often sure what to make of the monks of Kenobe, but are generally grateful for their assistance.

Beyond the Known World, it is thought that this tradition has adherents in distant Jaibul, in the baronies of the eastern Savage Coast, and in legendary Zyxl, the homeland of Hamesh the Pathfinder. But such are simply rumors and speculation.

Disciple of the Mind
When you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you learn magical disciplines that harness the power of the mind. A discipline requires you to spend ki points each time you use it.

You know the invisible hand discipline and one other mental discipline of your choice, which are detailed in the "Mental Disciplines" section below. You learn one additional mental discipline of your choice at 6th, 11th, and 17th level.

Whenever you learn a new mental discipline, you can also replace one mental discipline that you already know with a different discipline.

Casting Mental Spells. Pretty much all mental disciplines allow you to cast spells. See the Basic Rules for the general rules of spellcasting. To cast one of these spells, you use its casting time and other rules, but you don’t need to provide material components for it.

Mental Disciplines
The mental disciplines are presented in alphabetical order. If a discipline requires a level, you must be that level in this class to learn the discipline.

Abundant Leap: You can spend 2 ki points to cast jump on yourself.
Compelling Words (6th level): You can spend 3 ki points to cast suggestion.
Fury Born Strike: As an action, you can spend 2 ki points and choose a creature within 30 feet of you. That creature must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 3d10 psychic damage, plus an additional 1d10 psychic damage for each additional ki point you spend, and becomes stunned. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn't stunned.
Gliding Step (11th level): You can spend 5 ki points to cast freedom of movement on yourself.
Hear the Music of the Spheres (17th level): You can spend 6 ki points to cast commune.
Invisible Hand: You can cast mage hand at will, and the hand is automatically invisible, as the Arcane Trickster power. However, it is not sufficiently dextrous to perform legdermain.
Mind over Matter (17th level): You can spend 6 ki points to cast telekinesis.
Run Up The Walls (6th level): You can spend 3 ki points to cast spider climb on yourself.
Speed of Thought (11th level): You can spend 4 ki points to cast haste on yourself.
Steadfast Nerve: You can spend 2 ki points to cast heroism on yourself.
Strike of Serenity* (11th level): You can spend 5 ki points to cast staggering smite.
Water is as Glass (11th level): You can spend 4 ki points to cast water walk on yourself.
Your Thoughts Betray You (6th level): You can spend 3 ki points to cast detect thoughts.
* Sometimes called Strike of Wrath.

doctorbadwolf

This is what I came up with a long time ago, on a forum far far away.

The Way of the Mind
All monks draw on the hidden powers of the mind and spirit to enhance the body, but followers of this tradition do so in ways that defy imagination. Its techniques are known to strengthen the body, but also the perceptions and even the presence of the monk. The path these aescetic warriors follow typically leads them to one of two destinations -- either a cool detachment from worldly concerns, or a total embrace of every emotional impulse.

In the Known World, this path is taught only at the Kenobe Monastery in the Soderfjord Jarldoms, established some seventy years ago by a companion of Hamesh the Pathfinder. Ostensibly devoted to the god Frey, the monastery has produced few true monks in its existence, but serves a vital role in guarding and protecting the caravan route that leads north from Jotunvalk Pass. The people of the Castellan Valley aren't often sure what to make of the monks of Kenobe, but are generally grateful for their assistance.

Beyond the Known World, it is thought that this tradition has adherents in distant Jaibul, in the baronies of the eastern Savage Coast, and in legendary Zyxl, the homeland of Hamesh the Pathfinder. But such are simply rumors and speculation.

Disciple of the Mind
When you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you learn magical disciplines that harness the power of the mind. A discipline requires you to spend ki points each time you use it.

You know the invisible hand discipline and one other mental discipline of your choice, which are detailed in the "Mental Disciplines" section below. You learn one additional mental discipline of your choice at 6th, 11th, and 17th level.

Whenever you learn a new mental discipline, you can also replace one mental discipline that you already know with a different discipline.

Casting Mental Spells. Pretty much all mental disciplines allow you to cast spells. See the Basic Rules for the general rules of spellcasting. To cast one of these spells, you use its casting time and other rules, but you don’t need to provide material components for it.

Mental Disciplines
The mental disciplines are presented in alphabetical order. If a discipline requires a level, you must be that level in this class to learn the discipline.

Abundant Leap: You can spend 2 ki points to cast jump on yourself.
Compelling Words (6th level): You can spend 3 ki points to cast suggestion.
Fury Born Strike: As an action, you can spend 2 ki points and choose a creature within 30 feet of you. That creature must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 3d10 psychic damage, plus an additional 1d10 psychic damage for each additional ki point you spend, and becomes stunned. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn't stunned.
Gliding Step (11th level): You can spend 5 ki points to cast freedom of movement on yourself.
Hear the Music of the Spheres (17th level): You can spend 6 ki points to cast commune.
Invisible Hand: You can cast mage hand at will, and the hand is automatically invisible, as the Arcane Trickster power. However, it is not sufficiently dextrous to perform legdermain.
Mind over Matter (17th level): You can spend 6 ki points to cast telekinesis.
Run Up The Walls (6th level): You can spend 3 ki points to cast spider climb on yourself.
Speed of Thought (11th level): You can spend 4 ki points to cast haste on yourself.
Steadfast Nerve: You can spend 2 ki points to cast heroism on yourself.
Strike of Serenity* (11th level): You can spend 5 ki points to cast staggering smite.
Water is as Glass (11th level): You can spend 4 ki points to cast water walk on yourself.
Your Thoughts Betray You (6th level): You can spend 3 ki points to cast detect thoughts.
* Sometimes called Strike of Wrath.
I would always cost ki powered spells at 1 ki per spell level. One of the weaknesses of the four elements monk is how quickly it burns through ki, and that it's spells cost more than those of any other monk subclass with spells.

Otherwise, I like it.

doctorbadwolf

So, I've been building characters on dndbeyond, and there are only a couple things missing from 5e, or simply gated at too high a level, to really do good star wars characters.

Some things I'd want to add or change to 5e to play Star Wars without rebuilding the game

1. Add a feat that replicates block and deflect with redirect shot. Also change the Monk's Deflect Missiles to mimic the feat, and other force powers feats that grant force powers and force points to use them with
    1. ki becomes force points, as do sorcery points, force points can be traded back and forth with spell slots (I hate spell points and refuse to use them in a dnd style game because I don't ever want 50 special ability points to track)
  2. Add 3 skills for basic use of and knowledge about the force
    1. Sense for mental stuff, sensing the force around you, etc
    2. Alter for affecting your surroundings, ie stuff like move object
    3. Control for more internal stuff like resisting things and healing yourself
  3. Stuff like the catapult spell would allow you to move the object in question around however you want within your turn
  4. Healing always requires a hit die, either from the healer or the target
  5. Weapons per the DMG, with energized melee weapons simply adding a die of damage like in star wars saga.
  6. Rework armor and AC. This is the biggest thing, tbh.

Remove ads