Star Wars Galaxy Tiles: Anyone Have?

Captain Tagon

First Post
I saw this at a book store yesterday. Almost picked them up but hadn't heard anything yet? Anyone have these and have a positive or negative review of them?

drothgery

First Post
I've got a set, but I haven't opened them yet, as my Star Wars tabletop game is currently on hiatus. But our regular D&D DMs get a lot of use out of Dungeon Tiles, so I'm figuring that having a few sets of Galaxy Tiles will help me when Episode II of my game starts.

Picked up a set... and wound up buying a second set.

The tiles are good quality cardstock, very durable, double-sided, and generic enough to be useful for most any set-up. There's also a few example floorplans/lay-outs on the inside of the packaging sleeve.

As my own Star Wars game wrapped before these came out, I haven't had an opportunity to make use of them yet.

Ki Ryn

First Post
Thanks for that link to the pictures - those really are nice looking. I hope that they put out enough to produce a good variety map types (I've about used the minins battle maps in my campaign :) ).

Someone who has used these tiles - are they rigid enough to use on their own or do they need a covering? I guess I'd toss my sheet of plexiglass overthem regardless, just so I could use the markers.

RodneyThompson

First Post
Ki Ryn said:
Someone who has used these tiles - are they rigid enough to use on their own or do they need a covering? I guess I'd toss my sheet of plexiglass overthem regardless, just so I could use the markers.
Now that we finally got ours in at the office ( :uhoh: ) I've gotten to use them a few times and I've found they work fine without any covering, just like Dungeon Tiles. However, if you have a kind of slick surface on the table you're using, you might consider putting down a battlemat if you have one underneath. I found that doing so prevents your map from sliding around or getting broken apart as easily when people move their minis.

Insight

Adventurer
I really like them. Like others, I bought, opened, but have not yet had a chance to use, but I am running a SW SAGA game, and will likely use them soon. I think this is a nice source of potential revenue for both the RPG and the Minis game, and certainly lots of material from which to draw ideas to make a bunch of different tile packs.

I haven't tried this yet, but I have a bunch of the D&D tile packs. Assuming I'm running a SW game where some of the D&D tiles make sense, I wonder how well the SW and D&D tile packs work together...?

Insight said:
I haven't tried this yet, but I have a bunch of the D&D tile packs. Assuming I'm running a SW game where some of the D&D tiles make sense, I wonder how well the SW and D&D tile packs work together...?
I'd figure they work as well as any of the various D&D tile packs would work together, if they are both set for the same size square (1 inch, which I believe they are).

arscott

First Post
I have them, (though I haven't had a chance to use them yet--last week's game got cancelled). My one complaint is that they're a little bit boring--the dungeon tiles had cool stuff like inns and campsites, but the only cool things that the galaxy tiles have are a couple of pits and a tie-fighter.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
I got a pack, went through them and got a second pack within the week. I was impressed and will use them in my upcoming games. Same good quality as D&D tiles and nice generic rooms you can use for many different locations.

And to double up what Rodney said, if you use them on a regular wooden table, they slide around like you are playing air hocky, but a battlemat underneath solves that real quick.

-DM Jeff

Well, my two sets of Galaxy Tiles finally got some use this past weekend, as a friend of mine has opted to run us through the Dawn of Defiance campaign.

Have to say, they are pretty freakin' sweet :)

He was able to do a pretty good job of mocking-up the areas we were in based on the images given in for the space station part of the adventure.

Looking forward to more of these as time goes on.

Nebulous

Legend
arscott said:
I have them, (though I haven't had a chance to use them yet--last week's game got cancelled). My one complaint is that they're a little bit boring--the dungeon tiles had cool stuff like inns and campsites, but the only cool things that the galaxy tiles have are a couple of pits and a tie-fighter.
I have to agree with Scott. The tiles are good, and i'll certainly use them, but a lot of them are big blocks of empty, and not really that much more interesting than drawing a square on your battleboard with a marker. Some do have tie-fighters and stuff though. I'll be using them in conjunction with maps from the SW minis game (which i like better for big set pieces).

And if anyone has ever played DOOM from Fantasy Flight, that game comes with dozens and dozens of connectible room tiles with a sci-fi theme. Lots are slathered in blood, but lots aren't either. I'll also be using those.

Last edited:

The_Gneech

First Post
Got a set and used them for my game last weekend. My main suggestion is that you plan out the layout and put those tiles aside beforehand, so that when the scene comes up you can quickly set up the board.

They are on nice, heavy cardstock -- much nicer than the flimsy stuff they put out for the miniatures game; it's a very good starter set. I'm hoping they'll release more later.

-The Gneech :cool:

Breakdaddy

First Post
I bought them for my Dark Heresy game and they are high quality and useful for just about any sci fi style game.

Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters

Advertisement2

Advertisement4