• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars Story Hours/GM Journals

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
I like to keep a GM journal of each session of the games that I run, so that I can keep all of my subplots straight and go back over past stories to see if I can get ideas in which to take future plots. Also, my players like it because their characters' deeds are memorialized forever.

Below is a link to my Star Wars Gm journal. If you have one, post it here too! We can borrow ideas from each others games. :)

Star Wars: The Dark Times
http://members.aol.com/countrygrrlhere/starwars.html

(I have other journals as well, for D&D and Lord of the Rings:
http://members.aol.com/countrygrrlhere/saltmarsh.html
http://members.aol.com/countrygrrlhere/lotrjournal.htm
[Warning: The Lord of the Rings journal goes back over a year and a half, and is quite long.)

Post 'em if ya got 'em! :)

LostSoul

Adventurer
You know what else I would like to see? The GM's notes for each adventure. It would be a big spoiler for players of your game, but fellow GMs would have a lot of fun reading them. I think - maybe they'd actually be dry and boring. Who knows.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
I have some GM notes in there. They are in parenthesis in italic type. They are my own personal observations and thoughts as a GM, as well as rules-calls I made and rationalizations for the actions of NPCs that the players and their characters wouldn't or couldn't know.

Rhun

First Post
Sounds like it is going to be a fun campaign! Wish I was playing in it. I really enjoyed reading through the notes, and I got a few good ideas for when I start my SWd20 campaign.

AmorphousBlob

First Post
That's really good! I wish I could come up with stuff as good as that. I'm just starting out as a GM, and I can't even get my players to finish making their characters! I noticed you have a kushiban in the party. I liked the way you described it as "pikachu without the lightning".

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Thanks for the compliments!

I've been running and playing RPGs for a long time (20+ years), and most of the time I run "off the cuff," so I have a lot of experience coming up with ideas even as the game is going on. It's my preferred style, really, and even when I do run something from a published adventure I usually go off on tangents or find ways to weave other sub-plots into the story that apply to my campaign and have little to do with the original adventure.

Because I go off on tangents and make up the plots even as the game is going on, I *have* to write down my session journals like this so I can keep all of my subplots straight. It also helps me come up with new plot twists. For example ... the group didn't bother investigating the rest of the mine, but Jakk Torkaw was still down there waiting for them. He sensed the two padawans, and is now trying to find them. In short, the group has a "recurring villain" they don't even know about yet. :)

AmorphousBlob

First Post
DnDChick said:
Thanks for the compliments!

I've been running and playing RPGs for a long time (20+ years), and most of the time I run "off the cuff," so I have a lot of experience coming up with ideas even as the game is going on. It's my preferred style, really, and even when I do run something from a published adventure I usually go off on tangents or find ways to weave other sub-plots into the story that apply to my campaign and have little to do with the original adventure.

Because I go off on tangents and make up the plots even as the game is going on, I *have* to write down my session journals like this so I can keep all of my subplots straight. It also helps me come up with new plot twists. For example ... the group didn't bother investigating the rest of the mine, but Jakk Torkaw was still down there waiting for them. He sensed the two padawans, and is now trying to find them. In short, the group has a "recurring villain" they don't even know about yet. :)
I humbly bow to your omnipotence. Please, oh master, teach me the ways of the Force :D

My ongoing campaign is chronicled here. The early summaries are very short on detail, but I get properly into the swing of things after three or four posts. Note that this links to my LJ though - occasionally you may have to scroll past the boring 'life of humble minion' bits to get to the good stuff... ;)

Vexed

First Post
I just started my campagin, so should have something by next week... im going to use dndchik outline for my journal as this will be my first hand at writing out a journal, as i plan on my campagin lasting for quite some time... Once i get it finished ill post a link :)

Last edited:

Remove ads