Spoilers Star Wars: The Acolyte [Spoilers]

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Yeah, basically a series of overly-obsessive actions on both sides leading to tragedy. The witches planted an impulse in the padawan that was meant to drive him away but instead ended up drawing him in, Sol couldn't leave well enough alone because he was convinced Osha was destined to be his padawan, and the zabrak witch was so utterly against Osha leaving that she drove Mae to embrace her anger and pushed the others to take up arms.

I do wonder where Qimir comes into all of this - whether he was there somewhere behind the scenes, using his abilities to drive and amplify those obsessive behaviours, or if he just came along later and recruited Mae.
I loved how the witches with bows all stood there and watched the bad stuff happen before firing.....like, what was the point? I think that was my one Major nitpick of plot driven wtf.....

btw, did Sol just tell Mae all this? Like, he finds Mae, and says he'll tell her all, instead of turning the ship around immediately and asking where Osha is?

damiller

Adventurer
Indara was the one who suggested the coverup, thus psychologically destroying the other three. And she was the one who killed all those witches. And we actually only have her word that she contacted the Jedi council at all….
totally true. We don't know she talked with the JC, but she at least said she did, and initially refused to interfer with the coven. I was impressed with that. It puts both her and the JC in a better light than it appeared at the beginning of the series.

I appreciated too that Sol had to choose. He could not hold them both up, and as far as he knew both would die if he didn't choose. So yuck, but so yum!!!

This whole episode reminds me of the Malcolm Gladwell's "Bomber Mafia". His point there, according to interviews with him about it, is that life is messy and you have to make the best decisions you can given the circumstance you find yourself in. And that is what I think about Indara telling them to "suck it up".

And i'd be inclined to suggest that she did not mean to kill the witches, but even if she did - they basically attacked one of her officers, and used him to threaten the others. I don't really hold that against her.

Again, just a giant ball of messy with lots of people being responsible for different things, but no one to blame for the whole thing.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
totally true. We don't know she talked with the JC, but she at least said she did, and initially refused to interfer with the coven. I was impressed with that. It puts both her and the JC in a better light than it appeared at the beginning of the series.

I appreciated too that Sol had to choose. He could not hold them both up, and as far as he knew both would die if he didn't choose. So yuck, but so yum!!!

This whole episode reminds me of the Malcolm Gladwell's "Bomber Mafia". His point there, according to interviews with him about it, is that life is messy and you have to make the best decisions you can given the circumstance you find yourself in. And that is what I think about Indara telling them to "suck it up".

And i'd be inclined to suggest that she did not mean to kill the witches, but even if she did - they basically attacked one of her officers, and used him to threaten the others. I don't really hold that against her.

Again, just a giant ball of messy with lots of people being responsible for different things, but no one to blame for the whole thing.
Why do Jedi try to hold up heavy stuff, and not just force push/pull the girls away from the gap to the safe zones on the outside of the bridge? My wife and I always wonder this.....also, why did the girls not run to get off the bridges?

damiller

Adventurer
Why do Jedi try to hold up heavy stuff, and not just force push/pull the girls away from the gap to the safe zones on the outside of the bridge? My wife and I always wonder this.....also, why did the girls not run to get off the bridges?
i'd say it is because they are in a story, and that is what the story wants. That may not work for you and your wife.

Alternatively, I mean, how many of us, outside of a nerve wracking experience would have acted "smarter". I know there are many instances in my life when stress was high, that I acted with less intelligence than I might have in a less stressful/crisis situation. In fact i know i have.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
i'd say it is because they are in a story, and that is what the story wants. That may not work for you and your wife.

Alternatively, I mean, how many of us, outside of a nerve wracking experience would have acted "smarter". I know there are many instances in my life when stress was high, that I acted with less intelligence than I might have in a less stressful/crisis situation. In fact i know i have.
The Jedi always try to hold up heavy stuff instead of moving people, which we know they can do. Are they not trained?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

I always prefer a diagetic answer, so thanks for offering one.

Kaodi

Hero
I thought Indara's reasoning for the coverup was to salvage what was left of Osha's life and not necessarily just to save their own skins. She wanted to be a Jedi, and Sol, who was ready to fall on his lightsaber, was the one person they could count on wanting to teach her.

The reactor was exploding. Pushing the girls off the bridge would have trapped both of them on inaccessible ledges - killing them both. The natural instinct for the 8 year old twins was to try to be together.

Pulling and catching them both would have required concentrating on two things at the same time. Well beyond Sol's ability. As I mentioned earlier, a consequence of having thousands of jedi is needing a lower bar for recruitment. Sol is simply less powerful than the badass jedi we are used to seeing.

Also, all living things (anything with an M-count) have a natural, instinctive connection to the force. That means they will resist attempts to move them with the force without being aware they are doing it. Thus, non-living objects are easier for a jedi to move. No resistance means you can destroy a bunch of droids with a force push that might only move a living target a few inches.

Remove ads