• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars: Was the “other Skywalker” Yoda spoke of really Leia?

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
She did develop her power. She was able to survive a vacuum for a while and force push herself back into the ship.
Right, but that’s all it is. It isn’t important to the plot that she survives by using the Force. She could have survived some other way and the result would be the same. It serves no other purpose than to show that she has Force powers. What I think would be satisfying is for Leia’s Force abilities to be instrumental in resolving the conflict of the story. Maybe there’s something like that in Episode IX, but I’m extremely doubtful. The trilogy so far has clearly not been Leia’s story.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What I think would be satisfying is for Leia’s Force abilities to be instrumental in resolving the conflict of the story. Maybe there’s something like that in Episode IX, but I’m extremely doubtful. The trilogy so far has clearly not been Leia’s story.
I've told you, like, 8 times that it does. I even listed the various ways that it does. You ignore it every time, and keep repeating that it doesn't, despite not having seen the film. It's starting to feel like a comedy routine of some kind.

Hriston

Leia has powers but in canon and legends she didn't train as much as say Luke as she spent more time in politics.

She's the better leader, Luke's the better warrior. Her potential is the same as Luke's. She uses force powers in both but it takes her longer iirc she becomes Jedi Master in both.
She can become a Jedi Master, but if it doesn’t end up being instrumental to the story, then it doesn’t matter. I hope @Morrus is right and that Episode IX finds a way to make it important that Luke found out that Leia was his sister and trained her in the Force. So far that hasn’t been the case, but it makes some sense to withhold it until the last episode.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
She can become a Jedi Master, but if it doesn’t end up being instrumental to the story, then it doesn’t matter. I hope @Morrus is right and that Episode IX finds a way to make it important that Luke found out that Leia was his sister and trained her in the Force. So far that hasn’t been the case, but it makes some sense to withhold it until the last episode.
It would be kinda hard for him to be wrong. If you see a movie, it's pretty apparent what affects the plot and what doesn't. However, piling on to what you have been told, I saw the movie and her force powers do affect the story.

Last edited:

Hriston

In Legends it was explained that after all that happened between the Jedi and the Sith, it was best to keep Leia's force abilities a secret.

After all the years of propaganda against the Jedi made by the Empire, having a Jedi taking such a prominent role in the new Republic's government was not something most people would accept.
Okay, but that doesn’t preclude Leia from acting as a Jedi Knight covertly to resolve the major conflict of the story. If it does, then why was it important for Yoda to tell Luke about his sister?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Okay, but that doesn’t preclude Leia from acting as a Jedi Knight covertly to resolve the major conflict of the story. If it does, then why was it important for Yoda to tell Luke about his sister?
How do you propose one of the most recognizable people in the entire galaxy act covertly?

Hriston

Leia using the force wasn't a problem. Her flying in space scene was. Mary Poppins in space and it looked bad/goofy.
The visual aspect of this didn’t bother me. The lack of relevance to the plot did. I don’t think the audience needed it as exposition on the power of the Force, the way that Yoda levitating Luke’s x-wing was used in Episode V, because we already know the Force can do this. So it’s only useful in revealing Leia’s ability, and it felt unsatisfying to me because it was so self contained. It makes sense, however, as foreshadowing of Leia’s formidable Force power which then becomes relevant later in the story. This honestly hadn’t occurred to me as a possibility when I started this thread, my assumption being that Leia’s story was over. I’m happy to be reminded that my assumption was incorrect.

Hriston

Yoda is talking about anakin. Pure and simple.

And guess what? Anakin is the one that saved the day because luke couldnt take the emperor down.

He is probably the skywalker yoda meant. And if yoda meant any other skywalker then he was wrong (wouldnt be the first time)

If he wasnt talking about anakin then he was wrong. As yoda makes a habit of being. At least in the movies.
Another wrinkle with this interpretation than the one already mentioned is that right before he says, “There is another Skywalker”, Yoda says, “Pass on what you have learned.” It’s difficult to see Luke’s subsequent interaction with Vader as a teaching moment.

But I do like the idea that, in that final moment, Anakin overcomes Vader, just as Vader had “killed” Anakin so long ago. I don’t think Anakin could have done it without Luke, though.

Hriston

Look at the spoilers I put behind the spoiler button waaay up above. She Jedis up.

Though if that’s the only reason to watch the movie, it might not be worth it.
I was hoping for something a little more direct, although I suppose the voice projection and passing on the training could be instrumental. Your “might not be worth it” doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence.

Hriston

I've told you, like, 8 times that it does. I even listed the various ways that it does. You ignore it every time, and keep repeating that it doesn't, despite not having seen the film. It's starting to feel like a comedy routine of some kind.
Sorry, didn’t mean to ignore you. There has been a lot to respond to in this thread. And I haven’t meant to assert that I know what happens in the new movie. I’m just expressing my own skepticism that Leia’s story would be resolved in a satisfying way, and I would be happy to find that to be unfounded.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads