Starfinder's A Resounding Success! Sells Out On First Day of Gen Con

Despite bringing more copies of the Starfinder core rulebook to Gen Con than any other single product before, Paizo has sold out of them after just one day. Luckily, as they say, copies are out there at local game stores.

DHdR15CWsAEkcDf.jpg

Here's where they were almost sold out:

DHdEMoxXsAA4Q3h.jpg

Here they were towards the end of the morning, with what Paizo termed "a big hole in our inventory":

DHcU8EXXkAQiP8e.jpg

And here they were at the start of the day:

DHbodulXUAAQQ7g.jpg

DHTbmiDWsAInOiU.jpg

With announcements for a 30th anniversary edition of WEG Star Wars, Numenera 2, and The Expanse RPG all this week, it looks like sci-fi is definitely back to visit for a while!

Photos courtesy Paizo and Jason Bulmahn.

Michael Dean

Explorer
I ended up getting my copy at The Game Preserve in North Indy Friday night. They were running a 20% off Sale for the entire store during Gen Con, so pretty happy about that.

I feel like it was pretty short-sighted on Paizo's part not to have more product there. I mean, I'm sure they were glad of the sell-out, but what a missed opportunity to sell even more! And when it was gone, there was a gaping hole in their area. There had been plenty of anticipatory buzz around the product, so it seemed to me they could have predicted better. But what do I know?

Polaris benefited from the absence, though, as they manage to sell out as well, despite having virtually no interest on Thursday.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There had been plenty of anticipatory buzz around the product, so it seemed to me they could have predicted better. But what do I know?

I imagine they predicted as well as they could. Plus it's better to have too much demand than to have not enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I feel like it was pretty short-sighted on Paizo's part not to have more product there. I mean, I'm sure they were glad of the sell-out, but what a missed opportunity to sell even more! And when it was gone, there was a gaping hole in their area. There had been plenty of anticipatory buzz around the product, so it seemed to me they could have predicted better. But what do I know?

Polaris benefited from the absence, though, as they manage to sell out as well, despite having virtually no interest on Thursday.

They sold more copies of Starfinder in 6 hours than any other single product over the entire 4 days of Gen Con combined. I'm not sure how they could have anticipated that.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Paizo is very good about bringing sufficient supply of their books to meet the demand, at least insofar as Gen Con goes. The last time I've seen them be taken by surprise by customer demand was in 2008, for the Pathfinder RPG beta rules. That the same thing happened now for Starfinder is not something to be underestimated.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases