Starfinder Starfinder's Sutter Leaves Paizo; Butler Joins (In A Different Role)

I don't normally report on staff changes at RPG companies unless it's something major. I feel like a couple of Paizo staff updates are worth mentioning though. First, James Sutter, co-creator of Pathfinder, and creative director of Starfinder, is leaving Paizo to write full-time (although he says he will still freelance for Paizo). Don't worry - it's all amicable, as he reports in a blog post at Paizo's website. Secondly, I'm informed by Paizo staff that Paizo has hired TSR's Jim Butler, who helped spearhead Alternity, and ran Bastion Press in the early 2000s, as Vice President of Marketing and Licensing.

I don't normally report on staff changes at RPG companies unless it's something major. I feel like a couple of Paizo staff updates are worth mentioning though. First, James Sutter, co-creator of Pathfinder, and creative director of Starfinder, is leaving Paizo to write full-time (although he says he will still freelance for Paizo). Don't worry - it's all amicable, as he reports in a blog post at Paizo's website. Secondly, I'm informed by Paizo staff that Paizo has hired TSR's Jim Butler, who helped spearhead Alternity, and ran Bastion Press in the early 2000s, as Vice President of Marketing and Licensing.

With respect to your tremendous store experience, I think both you and rknop have made some over-generalized statements. To say it's "ALWAYS" been that way or that it didn't happen before 4e vs Pathfinder are not really accurate statements.

I was CEO of White Wolf through most of the 1990's and we were typically 2nd to TSR in rpg marketshare. The difference between White Wolf and TSR marketshare was more typically 2x or 3x, certainly not an order of magnitude (10x). White Wolf even surpassed TSR sales in retailer marketshare surveys (only briefly and when TSR was in such financial straits its new releases were constrained).

Edit: I accidentally said Wizards instead of TSR

Also, this is one of those times that I have to do the math and then be shocked that 20 years of experience would barely include the 90’s and TSR at all. Zoinks!! Definitely helps me feel old remembering that the majority of gamers I know weren’t even alive until after 3.0 was released. ;)

jimtillman

Explorer
Also, this is one of those times that I have to do the math and then be shocked that 20 years of experience would barely include the 90’s and TSR at all. Zoinks!! Definitely helps me feel old remembering that the majority of gamers I know weren’t even alive until after 3.0 was released. ;)

and now i feel old ....thanks for that :p

Remove ads

Remove ads