Starfinder Starship-Sized Monsters, what I've created so far...

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Even before the release of SF Starship Operations Manual, I was creating oversized creatures, but I really appreciate the rules to be able to do it more effectively. Three I've created so far, include: the Star Eater Nymph, the Harbinger of Doom, and the Deep Space Angler (first two are pubished).

Star Eater Nymph was featured in my Rogue's Run two-shot module interstellar travelog adventure, with the PCs transferring illegal material to a pirate base, while bypassing a naval blockade. This creature, although colossal in it's current form is a nymph stage in it's life process and will get many times larger. It's space born and eats star elements and will consume an entire star while in nymph stage in order to grow to it's next in development. The PCs have to avoid this thing, while trying to ready themselves in the next leg of their journey. The PCs smuggler ship can be seen flying under the head of the star eater.

Star Eater Nymph
N Colossal (starship scale) Space Vermin
Speed 6; Maneuverability poor (turn 5); Drift 0
AC 31; TL 24

HP 600; DT 15; CT 80
Shields none
Attack (Forward) Persistent Irradiating Particle Beam equivalent (10d6); irradiate medium
Attack (Forward) 2 Ship Raking Claws (7d6 melee each) Power Core Living Core (300 PCU equivalent); Drift Engine none; Systems (equivalent) advanced long range sensors, c6 thrusters, mk 5 defenses, mk 5 mononode, mk 10 armor; Expansion Bays none
Modifiers +5 any; Complement 0

Attachments

• sister-maker.jpg
    sister-maker.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
This is the Harbinger of Doom, I mentioned it as a different being in a different post, but that was an error - these are harbingers. These I featured in my SF Rules of Engagement supplement, where I created a Colonial Marine recruiting poster using it as the threat in the background of the image. These creatures begin as tiny, 1 foot tall versions. They consume radiation sources on worlds where they find themselves. It takes centuries to achieve full size. Once the creature eats 10 times it's mass, it grows to the next size category, until it reaches starship sizes. In it's final colossal form it seeks a combat to the death - as part of it's reproductive process. It positions itself for it's upper half to point to a planet or other major gravity well it detects over it's head as a destination for it's spawn. It begins combat. Once it takes 50% of total damage the tentacles reach skyward, and a mass ejection of egg pods are released and shot into the orbit where they float towards the destination world and falls to the ground as thousands of eggs to hatch and grow to it's form and begin it's life process again.

Harbinger of DoomCR 15
N Colossal Aberration, Kaiju
Init +9; Senses Blindsight (radiation source) 120 ft.; Perception 26
Aura

DEFENSE HP
EAC 28 KAC 30
Fort +16; Reflex +16; Will +14
Resistances immune to mind-affecting effects
Weaknesses none

OFFENSE
Speed
Melee 2 Slam +22 (5d8+22 B)
Range 80 ft.
Offensive Abilities Natural Weapons, Trample

Attachments

• recruiting-poster.jpg
    recruiting-poster.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 103

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
The last one I created hasn't been published yet, I call it the Deep Space Angler. If you cannot tell, because the illustration below doesn't show their entirety, but this essentially looks like a colossal deep sea angler fish - you know those fish that is mostly head and a huge fanged maw, and features a tiny bio-luminescent antenna to attract prey. That inspired me to imagine this space born fish that swims the currents of solar winds in search of food and others like itself. They are found in nests nearby Drift Beacons, as they seem to be atracted to the energies given off by them. They absorb the signal generated by the Drift Beacon, to give off it's own signal that can confuse astrogation systems that mistake it's location as the location of Drift Beacon, or jump point. So very often passing starships detect a beacon and will be curious and visit. This is how the Deep Space Angler attracts it's food.

I haven't created the stats for this yet, but I will be soon.

Attachments

• angler.jpg
    angler.jpg
    966.8 KB · Views: 103

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
One of the forms that starship sized creatures can come is as Living Constructs, so I created a series of them based on various kinds of crabs, which I call the Crustacea, no stats for these yet, either, but am planning to write a one-shot module involving them.

Crustacea were created by some kind of now extinct crab-based humanoid, who needed drones essentially to breakdown salvage material to it's finest components, collect them for re-use material to construct more of these beings. Each kind of varying sized Crustacea serve different purposes in "fleets" of these creatures flying through space in search of salvageable debris to collect. Unfortunately the creator race went extinct, so all that collected material has no purpose, but the Crustacea don't realize that and contine to mine salvage locations, endlessly.

Lobster mothership is the largest Crustacea and carries the rest of it's kind, and the collected components to it's destinations. These creature is about 15,000 feet long.

Shrimp - are the smallest of the Crustacea, and the workhorses of their kind. They are able to emit destabilizing energies from it's mouth that cause the individual components of salvage materials to lose cohesion with the other components around it, then it collects the tiny particles to carry to the depostion bin... These Crustacea are about 20 feet long, equivalent to the smallest starships at the smallest end of the scale range.

Also the lobster and the shrimp, as shown in the shrimp illustration can fly forwards or backwards. It usually flies backwards in it's primary movement through space, both able to turn in mid-space, realign themselves to fly forwards to begin the process of salvage recovery or for an attack...

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 92
  • prawn.jpg
    prawn.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 82

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
The next Crustacea include the Land Crab which is the heavy lifter and primary combat specie of Crustacea. Next are roughly the same size as the Shrimp Crustacea, these resemble long-legged pill bug, isopods, which are crustaceans, believe it or not. These pill bug versions are the maintenance workers. Their 4 antenna work as 3D printers able to fix damage and the surface armor of all crustacea, however, if a crustacea takes major damage - broken limbs, internal damage to drives, it cannot be repaired. So while living near infinite lives, as they severely breakdown they become lost, and the Crustacea loose population overtime - they will eventually become extinct.

Illustration below shows both in the same image...

The last Crustacea is a hermit crab version that carry a removable bin with maneuver drives attached. These are the bins that the shrimp crustacea deposit salvage components into. Once it's full, the hermit crab takes it to the mothership and returns with an empty bin.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• repair-crustacea.jpg
    repair-crustacea.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 73
  • hermit-scrap-hauler.jpg
    hermit-scrap-hauler.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 112

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Finally, a one-shot module that I plan to write to include the Crustacea, involving a team of PC tow truck operators that recover broken down ships to the shipyard. However, when they arrive they discover these strange crab like being in the process to salvage their ship to recover - so it becomes a combat/salvage dispute - a 6th level module.

Attachments

• towing-hazard-cover.jpg
    towing-hazard-cover.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Remove ads