• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starter Set - $16.99

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Wait a minute, so does this basic set allow you to make your own characters...or does it just give pre-gens with stats and changes up to level 3? It sounds alot like the basic set that came out for 3e not 3.5...though the tiles are definitely an improvement.

I honestly think character creation is one of the big things that differentiates D&D from a board game, and alot of people were turned off by the pre-gens in the KotS and the various playtests. So yeah, I think character creation is important in a introductory product.

There are just pre-Gens with no character creation rules.

The product is more new DM focused. We wanted to make it easy to learn to DM and then let the DM dig into character creation once they are hooked on the game play. DMs will recruit players and walk through the creation process at that point they want to start a game and own a PHB.

DM rules include:

Basic overview overview of the game (play monsters, narrate story, build the world)
DM Quick start (skill checks, combat, movement etc)
Adventure: Beneath the Village of Harken
Creating Adventures
Encounter Components
Encounter Settings
Skill Challenges
Traps and Hazards
Creating Dungeons
Monsters

Player's rules are more stripped down and cover:

The basic mechanics
Combat
Skill checks
Movement
Healing
etc

Last edited:

Korgoth

First Post
My own vastly erudite and important opinion is that it's a mistake to omit character generation. I think you generally have to hook someone as a player before you can hook them as a DM, and one of the main attractions of the game is that you get to make up your own dude. Even minimal and restricted character generation is infinitely better than pregens.

Sounds like a good value/price point, though.

Rouse, you rule.

I will buy at least two boxes of this and give the gift of gaming to unsuspecting families.

There. I said it.

Now, could you tell us how many pregenerated characters are there?

Since there are no character creation rules, I hope we will have as many of the "stock" fantasy characters as possible...

You know, wisecrackin halfling thief, human paladin in shining armor, Elven archer, Dwarf tough guy with a hammer, mysterious sexy enchantress, etc.

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
My own vastly erudite and important opinion is that it's a mistake to omit character generation. I think you generally have to hook someone as a player before you can hook them as a DM, and one of the main attractions of the game is that you get to make up your own dude. Even minimal and restricted character generation is infinitely better than pregens.

Well, what would it take for a 3 levels of 'real' 4e (with character creation).

Start with the 320 page PHB.
how to play - unchanged
making characters - -2 pages (eliminate alternate character creation methods, any mention of classes or races not in the book, or higher-level play, cut deity list)
Races -8 pages; cut races to human, elf, dwarf, and halfling.
Classes -149 pages; cut classes to cleric, fighter, rogue, and wizard, and eliminate powers beyond 3rd level (it looks like if you cut the half-page opening picture you can cut classes to five pages using basically the same format). Also cut everything on paragon paths and epic destinies.
Skills - unchanged
Feats - -10 pages; eliminate all paragon and epic tier feats, racial feats that apply to omitted races or classes, multiclass feats, channel divinity feats for omitted deities
Equipment - -20 pages; eliminate level 6+ items, vastly reduce set of available items, eliminate some equipment
Adventuring - unchanged
Combat - unchanged
Rituals - -10 pages; eliminate all level 4+ rituals
Eliminate playtester credits, ads- -2 pages

That gives you 120 pages; probably blow that up to 128 (you'll need some monsters and DM advice, and you've got 32-page bundles anyway).

50+ monster tokens on Dungeon Tile stock
PC Tokens also on DT stock
*drool*

I like tokens.

It comes in a box
The box is blue
The box will hold stuff
It's $11.55 on Amazon.

It comes in a box

You should buy it.
So, is there some type of, like, storage unit included with this product? Y'know, to keep all the tokens and booklets. Because if there something to, like, put stuff in, that might push me over the edge into buying it. ;)

Korgoth

First Post
That gives you 120 pages; probably blow that up to 128 (you'll need some monsters and DM advice, and you've got 32-page bundles anyway).

I think you could strip it down even further than what you outlined, though I'm not a 4E guy. You don't have to give every available option for feats and skills... just give a few.

drothgery

First Post
I think you could strip it down even further than what you outlined, though I'm not a 4E guy. You don't have to give every available option for feats and skills... just give a few.

Maybe a little; not much, if you want to preserve some choice. But I don't think you could get down to 96 pages without major reformatting (smaller type, less whitespace, less artwork), and that's the next cut-off point after 128 pages.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads