• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starter Set - $16.99

JeffB

Legend
Yep, as I stated somewhere in the thread the 3.5 basic set had an advanced rulebook with character creation and advancement through level 2. For level 3 and beyond the reader is referred to the 3.5 PHB. I don't know about the blue dragon set (if it was the same).

I don't see why 4th could not provide that as well, however the Starter Set sounds good. I'll grab it for two reasons:

1) For my 9 yo - because I think 4E will be much more exciting and fun for him. He's a Pokemon freak- I'm finding the rather mundane basic era D&D classes are not nearly as "cool" to him as they were to me at that age- I get alot of "thats it? that's all I can do?" (I try to explain he can do whatever he thinks up, but so far it's not sunk in). Sympton of growing up with such advanced video games and anime TV shows I guess- something I did not have.

and

2) I can always use the dice, tiles, and especially counters since I don't buy minis. $11.55 is a good deal for that.

The Little Raven

First Post
That gives you 120 pages; probably blow that up to 128 (you'll need some monsters and DM advice, and you've got 32-page bundles anyway).

You could cut it down more by not using the full-page and one-and-a-half page art, and such. I'm fairly sure you could cut it down so it would fit in a 96-page book.

Scribble

First Post
Eh... Anecdotally speaking:

When I got the black boxed set:

First I looked at al the pictures.

Second I read all those little card thingies that came with the game, and marveled over the dice.

Third I played the choose your own adventure, D&D is kind of like this, but not really adventure. I got turned to stone. :(

Fourth I invited some friends over to try out the game, and we played the premade learn D&D thing.

By the time the idea of making a character came up, I'd already bought the Cyclopedia. The black boxed set had character creation rules for just a few levels, but I didn't use them.

Korgoth

First Post
You could even do a "Half pregen" model where all you pick are the class and race. Each class has set stats, feats and powers, and then at the race step it tells you what to add or increase.

This would be especially easy since 4E doesn't have racial penalties. You could do it in just a few pages.

Gallo22

First Post
I'm a 3.Xer (I know, bad juju and all that), but I going to get one (possibly two), just for the monster tokens alone. Thanks Scott (from a 3.Xer :D)

I must admit, I'm actually excited for a new D&D product for the first time in awhile!!!

I wish WotC would come out with an occasional sheet of monster/character tokens to go with the Dungeon Tiles. I really think they would sell. What do you think Scott?

Scribble

First Post
I wish WotC would come out with an occasional sheet of monster/character tokens to go with the Dungeon Tiles. I really think they would sell. What do you think Scott?

This I agree with completely. I don't buy the dungeon tiles because I tried them and found them too cumbersome.

I DO use monster tokens, and would buy (non-random) monster tokens made out of the Dungeon Tiles cardstock.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I'm a 3.Xer (I know, bad juju and all that), but I going to get one (possibly two), just for the monster tokens alone. Thanks Scott (from a 3.Xer :D)

I must admit, I'm actually excited for a new D&D product for the first time in awhile!!!

I think he thinks that if they did that he´d get a fax from the minis department with the phrase "competing product wtf" in 60pt Arial in red. Flashing.

Obryn

Hero
This I agree with completely. I don't buy the dungeon tiles because I tried them and found them too cumbersome.

I DO use monster tokens, and would buy (non-random) monster tokens made out of the Dungeon Tiles cardstock.
I agree 100%.

I have 4(?) sets of Dungeon Tiles, and I gave them a shot for a while. I found that my Chessex mat just worked better, in the long run.

However, I am currently using Klaus's/Fiery Dragon's creature counters for KotS and will use them for Thunderspire. I print them on cardstock, and love 'em. I think I would love them even more on Dungeon Tiles stock.

-O

I know that this product is probably already finished and on its way to the printers, but even so...

I suggest, as a middle of the road option, that the box contains only pregenerated characters.

HOWEVER, the box could include a code to download a pdf of "optional rules" which would include character creation rules for levels 1-3 and any missing features.

That way, the rulebook doesnt overwhelm a first-timer or even a casual player and someone with a few games under their belt can try new stuff, eventually leading to a purchase of the core rulebooks.

Voilá, everybody wins! :lol:

Treebore

First Post
Scott,

Have WOTC keep doing a series of such boxed sets that will get my character up to 30th level, eventually, and I'll buy them. Who knows, it may even get me to like 4E, eventually.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads