D&D 5E starter set at Walmart

That's great! When I were a lad, back in the early 80's, D&D, AD&D, Fighting Fantasy, Citadel Miniatures were all a big part (large display) of many shops like John Menzies (equivalent to WH Smith today - unsure what the USA equivalent would be; High Street chain book/gift/stationery shops). Haven't seen this in Britain yet for 5e - but I remember back in the day they had modules in record store-type box bins. Just typing this I can remember the smell of them as I riffled through them!

Ahhh. My youth.

As Paul Verlaine wrote, "Qu'as-tu fait, ô toi que voilà/ Pleurant sans cesse,/ Dis, qu'as-tu fait, toi que voilà,/ De ta jeunesse?"

On the other hand, (*holds aloft baby lion*) does this mean the Circle of Life begins again, and if we give it, say, 12 months, we'll have another Satanic Panic? 'Cause, by the Dark Lord, that'd really put a cramp in my sacrificial schedule *bites into baby lion's still-beating heart*.

*Waits for this to be cited as evidence against the hobby*

hardvice

First Post
If nothing else, it's worth mentioning because Wal-Mart has a very troubled past when it comes to carrying geek products. Once upon a time, they refused to carry Spawn action figures because they were demonic.

So it could be seen as encouraging in that it means they've grown up a bit in the last twenty years, or else in that they see D&D as profitable enough to justify compromising their lofty holier-than-thou integrity in exchange for a share of that filthy devil-worshiping lucre. Either way, it's a win.

Dire Bare

Legend
If nothing else, it's worth mentioning because Wal-Mart has a very troubled past when it comes to carrying geek products. Once upon a time, they refused to carry Spawn action figures because they were demonic.

So it could be seen as encouraging in that it means they've grown up a bit in the last twenty years, or else in that they see D&D as profitable enough to justify compromising their lofty holier-than-thou integrity in exchange for a share of that filthy devil-worshiping lucre. Either way, it's a win.

Heh. Walmart isn't holier-than-thou, never has been. But they target middle America pretty aggressively, and if they think that a product will freak out enough moral majority moms, then they will not carry it.

Walmart carrying D&D doesn't signify a change in Walmart practices, but rather is indicative in the increasing cultural acceptance of D&D. Which is why this is good news, even if you avoid shopping at Walmart like the plague.

Relax

First Post
On the other hand, (*holds aloft baby lion*) does this mean the Circle of Life begins again, and if we give it, say, 12 months, we'll have another Satanic Panic? 'Cause, by the Dark Lord, that'd really put a cramp in my sacrificial schedule *bites into baby lion's still-beating heart*.
If WotC should be so lucky. While it could be argued that the Evil Scare of the eighties didn't help sales, it cannot be argued that sales went insane at the very same time. The added publicity usually helps more than it hurts...

Louis Brenton

Explorer
My local Walmart here in Memphis started stocking the starter box around the beginning of December, 2015. I was thrilled to see it there. If hadn't already owned it, I'd have bought it just to help "encourage" them to keep stocking things like that. If I remember correctly, it was listed for the standard MSRP $20.

So, not news to me in particular, but I'm glad it's popping up other places & now more people will know about it. I've heard rumors of the Starter Set showing up in Target stores, but I've never seen one myself. I'm glad to see our hobby take another step forward into the public awareness (in a non-devil-worship kind of way).

ronaldsf

Explorer
Dude the display is all wrong. The box art needs to be showing. Ideally this would have its own stand up display or something but the manager should know enough to stack it so that the artwork is showing.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
No, no, no. Satan stopped being the Enemy a long time ago. I think that was just after Communism. Then it was Drugs. Now, if any employee of WotC gets spotted wearing a keffiyeh, they're screwed.

Talmek

Explorer
Here in southeast Texas (home of the D&D-hating, bible-thumping, revival-attending, judge-everywhere-but-your-own-issues) I've even seen the 4E starter set in my local Walmart typically nestled in with the CCG/TCG inventory.

Finally, a reason to go to Walmart (I'll just continue getting my materials from Amazon, thanks).

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
does this mean the Circle of Life begins again, and if we give it, say, 12 months, we'll have another Satanic Panic?

If I were working for Hasbro in advertising right now, I would at the very least pitch the question of a shockvertising campaign in certain American markets. A few well placed "missteps" and D&D could be a campaign trail issue in 2016. There's a risk of backfire, but man, if it worked, they'd have a license to print money.

CubeB

Explorer
I know that I tried to get my Player's Handbook at Walmart (it was on the drive home), but it was only available from their website. I have seen D&D stuff at Target, though. And most chain bookstores have a section dedicated to D&D/Pathfinder books.

Remove ads