• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E starter set at Walmart

S

Sunseeker

I have not seen the Start Set at my local box stores, I'll make a point of checking next time.

The Human Target

Adventurer
Kind of sort of but not technically.

Those game/nerd stuff sections up front in Walmart, Target, or what have you are actually unnamed kiosks for other companies.

They pay to stock that stuff on their "own" shelves in a prominent place by the registers.

That's why the employees of those stores usually won't be able to help you with that stuff- they don't even stock those shelves so they have no clue what's on them.

That's also why those shelves tend to be so cluttered, and usually never have new stuff stocked until long after it comes out- the company that owns those shelves sends a truck around ever now and again to clean up, put out new product, and change stuff around.

So Walmart isn't carrying D&D stuff, its allowing a separate entity to do so.

That's how its been explained to me at any rate.

graves3141

First Post
Cool to see D&D at Walmart. I actively look for the starter set in the Targets and Walmarts here in Colorado but I've never seen any... yet.

As a boy, I originally got all of my 1E AD&D books at Toys R Us. I remember asking my dad to buy me one of the hardbacks or an adventure every time we went there to look around. Wish I still had my original 1E books but at least I have the core 1E reprints these days... that's something.

I also remember having several dozen issues of Dragon magazine in the 1980s that I always kept near my other D&D stuff. I got those from Waldenbooks and I used to read and reread them all the time. So many great articles that really made me think about alternatives on how to do things in the game.

I used to spread out all my D&D stuff on the floor in my house and then draw maps on graph paper. Visiting relatives would see me doing this and ask if I was doing homework... when I replied that "it's a game" their expressions would change from admiration to confusion. I remember wanting to explain what kind of game it was but I didn't want to chance it that they would think I was into devil worship or something dangerous (the 60 minutes television interview with Gygax, which I had watched as it was broadcast for the first time with my parents when I was 15 was still fresh in everyone's mind... or, at least I imagined it was).

AAFES still carried D&D stuff through 4th edition (at least). I remember the Planescape boxed set being on a shelf and thinking it looked really cool because of the artwork on the cover but having no idea what it was.

I have a decent sized collection of D&D stuff from 1E through 5E but sometimes I wish I had bought more when I could have since there is so little product coming out these days... but, that's another story.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Kind of sort of but not technically.

Those game/nerd stuff sections up front in Walmart, Target, or what have you are actually unnamed kiosks for other companies.

They pay to stock that stuff on their "own" shelves in a prominent place by the registers.

That's why the employees of those stores usually won't be able to help you with that stuff- they don't even stock those shelves so they have no clue what's on them.

That's also why those shelves tend to be so cluttered, and usually never have new stuff stocked until long after it comes out- the company that owns those shelves sends a truck around ever now and again to clean up, put out new product, and change stuff around.

So Walmart isn't carrying D&D stuff, its allowing a separate entity to do so.

That's how its been explained to me at any rate.

From what I know, this is not accurate for WalMart. At least, not for any kind of board card or RPG game at Walmart. Maybe it's true for baseball cards (?). But this D&D section is stocked by WalMart.

As for employees at WalMart not being able to help you with it - they can't help you with anything really. Not really indicative of a particular section - ask them to help you with apples or razors some time and you will get the same responses.

Von Ether

Legend
I thought one of the Doctor Who "boxed" sets was clever. It's just big enough for two books and some space for dice in the back. It opened more like a boxed mailer with a flap than a separate box top.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Am I reading that right? Are they charging $29.98 for the starter box?

No, I don't think so. That looks like 29.98 for the Munchkin game on the left. If I recall correctly from my days doing merchandizing Wal-Mart puts the pricing on the right side of a product, so the box set is 12.98 or there abouts.

DM Howard

Explorer
image.jpg

Just checked at my Walmart in Kansas City. It's here as well. Good deal. Now let's see some more RPG support.

Remove ads