D&D 5E Starting Equipment/Gold Question

Shopping to optimize characters using basic items from the Weapons and Armor tables in the PHB is just "meh". Also, it's mean for the heavy armor guys who want the 1500 gc plate.

Instead of dropping gold, I usually just drop the main upgrades as loot in the early levels. Things like longswords, studded leather and various crossbows may be looted at level 1-2, and a full plate at level 3 latest (with other early upgrades for the heavy-armor guys such as a splint already at level 1-2).

Mad_Jack

Legend
Shopping to optimize characters using basic items from the Weapons and Armor tables in the PHB is just "meh". Also, it's mean for the heavy armor guys who want the 1500 gc plate.

Instead of dropping gold, I usually just drop the main upgrades as loot in the early levels. Things like longswords, studded leather and various crossbows may be looted at level 1-2, and a full plate at level 3 latest (with other early upgrades for the heavy-armor guys such as a splint already at level 1-2).

I'm always amazed when people I play with are surprised at how quickly I manage to acquire new stuff and upgrade from my starting equipment, but honestly, it's not that hard...
People tend to forget that they can sell off their starting equipment - that leather armor or chainmail that you started with can get traded in as part of the deal for your shiny new studded leather or plate, and any random gear that you don't need is a few extra SP/GP in your pocket (especially if your background gave you, say, a gaming set, musical instrument or navigator's tools but your character won't be using them).
After your first or second fight, everyone in the party should end up with a free backup melee weapon or ranged weapon if they want one, and collecting things like ammunition, oil, rations, etc., off of enemies that won't be needing them anymore should be standard procedure.
It may seem like hauling all the armor, weapons and furniture/art you can carry back to town might be a modern-videogame-era thing, but the 1st Ed. AD&D DMG had pages of charts for things like expensive carpets, statues and artwork.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The guys on the cover of Thieves World would make short work of the historically accurate dorks.
Yeah, maybe if they gang up on them one at a time... :rolleyes:

With actual armor on, those guys on the cover blah blah blah would be lucky to actually hurt the "historically accurate" awesomely armored kick-ass warriors. :p

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Yeah, maybe if they gang up on them one at a time... :rolleyes:

With actual armor on, those guys on the cover blah blah blah would be lucky to actually hurt the "historically accurate" awesomely armored kick-ass warriors. :p

Except the historically accurate guy is actually a .NET programmer, so….

Remove ads