D&D 3E/3.5 Statblocks - how to turn 3E creatures into 4E blocks?

Zustiur

Explorer
How do you change statblocks for 3E into something as simple to use as the 4E statblock? Is it even possible?

I'm open to simplifying the way monsters work in order to do this. In fact, that's a primary goal. I'd like to see 3E style and flavour integrated with the ease of use people are raving about in 4E. I'm looking at running 3E (pathfinder) again because it's the edition most true to my play style, but I'd like to have less garbage information to deal with.

It shouldn't be terribly difficult to reduce 3E creatures to a more usuable format. Particularly when you bear in mind that many features are not used on a regular basis. For example, you don't need attribute values if you have their resulting +s. And you may not even need that most of the time. The monster manual itself needs all the additional info so that you can figure out exactly how the numbers were reached, but during the game you only need the results.

Neuronphaser was on the right track in the 4E monsters in a 3E game thread. But he's converting 4E creatures back to 3E. I want to take existing 3E creatures and make them more user friendly.

Ultimately what I'd like is a database system that contains all the base creatures, and various 'role/class' templates that can be applied to those base creatures. Then you'd be able to select Orc - Elite or Minotaur Fighter 3 and get the results in a simple, easy to read and concise statblock.

Has anyone done anything like this, or have ideas on how it could be done?

The result may look something like this
Code:
Creature Class		CR
Init: +X	Senses Perception +X Other
HP 		HD
AC 		Flat 		Touch 
Fort +	Ref +		Will +
Immune/Resist
Speed
Melee
Ranged
Other

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-3r...edition-should-i-bring-3-5-a.html#post4462886

Has a 3e monster I redid in a 4e style stat block.

But yes, that doesn't really simplify much except Grezzo's spell list.

Things you can take out to make it simpler:

- Class...not important for an NPC or monster
- Alignment...you probably know what it is off the top of your head anyway
- Languages...if it speaks something the PCs understand, that's all you need to know
- Skills...if you're good at eye-balling, you may not need this (or do what I do and write down only the ones likely to come into play)
- Ability Scores...comes up so rarely

The rest of it all seems like stuff you could reference, so I can't imagine getting much smaller than that. Note that Grezzo's a pretty power-happy example, too, so it's not like all monsters will have this many attacks.

Remove ads