stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [OOC]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Kafkonia said:
Indeed. It seems to me that a simple boy from town would not be a master swordsman, although he might be good with his fists, hence my feat selection. That being said, I certainly recognize that a non-monk unarmed combatant is hardly an optimal build, so I don't mind having him pick up a sword on occasion. :)
I think there are possibilities for a great grappler as an augment to unarmed (you do damage as an unarmed strike). A single level of barbarian and/or perhaps the reaping mauler PrC might be concept-relevant options.

James Heard

Explorer
I think I might even try to just say he's a monk, and chalk up any differences of "monkish character" to the fact that Barovia is ...different. Gypsy-Fu or something?

pathfinderq1

First Post
stonegod said:
Both came through fine. Purity of Soul + Child of Khyber is an interesting mix as those two can be seen as a bit opposed. The pyro is fine, but I'm going to propose a modification that is all arcane based instead of psi-based and its tailored exactly to aberrant dragonmarkers:

Flame of Khyber
Prereqs. Concentration 8 ranks, Craft (alchemy) 1 rank, Knowledge (arcana) 2 ranks; Aberrant Dragonmark (burning hands, produce flame), Must of set a fire just to watch it burn.

The Flame of Khyber class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (any) (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), and Spellcraft (Int).

All the abilities would be the same save for Firewalk and Heat Death except their Spell-like where appropriate. You're not going to get enough levels to get to Firewalk IC so I'm not going to worry about a rework of it for now.

Essentially, this translates as one free feat (since Wild Talent isn't needed) and a few skills to move around.

As for history, the only caveat I have is that remember House Jorasco is the company to go to for hired-healing; the Church is not in the healing business. However, I can see Tessa perhaps volunteering for the war effort (possibly against her superior's wishes) in order to heal as sort of a counterpoint to Jorasco's more capitalistic services.

I like the look of the Flame of Khyber PrC, and I can make the requisite changes to the Pyro version to bring things into line. With the extra feat, I am inclined to pick up Pure Soul- I've actually started to like the idea that her Aberrant nature is effectively its own form of taint, which makes her resist to other forms. If that won't work, then she would go with Practiced spellcaster (Cleric), which would partially offset the PrC levels. No matter how far we advance, she wouldn't take more than 3-4 PrC levels.

Tessa would almost certainly have joined up to assist the expedition's healing resources- her wandering nature would be a major influence, and she would certainly have been a bit of a foil for House Jorasco's influence (with her divine spell selection, she can do things that most Dragonmarked healers can't). She might have actually had a bit of a friendly rivalry with Bergeron, since he was also a scholar- she'll probably be pretty unhappy to find out he is dead.

stonegod

pathfinderq1 said:
Tessa would almost certainly have joined up to assist the expedition's healing resources- her wandering nature would be a major influence, and she would certainly have been a bit of a foil for House Jorasco's influence (with her divine spell selection, she can do things that most Dragonmarked healers can't). She might have actually had a bit of a friendly rivalry with Bergeron, since he was also a scholar- she'll probably be pretty unhappy to find out he is dead.
And don't forget the "If They Find Out What Is On My Back They May Or May Not Kill Me" think.

Is it too late to jump in?

I just came into the possession of the 3rd edition Ravenloft book, and it's really cool. There's a character concept I wanna try out - a half-Vistani ranger. The Vistani are a gypsy-like race with a strong sixth sense and mysterious knowledge of traveling the mists. I know the Ravenloft book isn't mentioned as a resource, but if you're interested, PM me and we can talk about it.

stonegod

James (and to a lesser extent drothgery): 'Ere are a few more urban-based alternate class features from Cityscape. Take a look and let me know if any grab you.

stonegod

Jacob the Impaler said:
I just came into the possession of the 3rd edition Ravenloft book, and it's really cool. There's a character concept I wanna try out - a half-Vistani ranger. The Vistani are a gypsy-like race with a strong sixth sense and mysterious knowledge of traveling the mists. I know the Ravenloft book isn't mentioned as a resource, but if you're interested, PM me and we can talk about it.
- Ravenloft setting != Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
- I have my own tweaked version of the Visanti
- The game is currently full
However, I appreciate your interest. If we do need new recruits, it will be posted here so you can keep an eye out.

PS: PM'ing only works for paying members of ENWorld IIRC.

stonegod

pathfinderq1 said:
With the extra feat, I am inclined to pick up Pure Soul- I've actually started to like the idea that her Aberrant nature is effectively its own form of taint, which makes her resist to other forms.
I can see that line of thought, but taint is taint, regardless of the source. So I wouldn't call Tessa a "Pure Soul". Taint-resistant perhaps, though their isn't a feat for that. That being said, I'm not opposed to you taking the feat.

James Heard

Explorer
stonegod said:
James (and to a lesser extent drothgery): 'Ere are a few more urban-based alternate class features from Cityscape. Take a look and let me know if any grab you.
To be honest, I just don't like them for Janis much - except for the "Go To Ground" thing which might have been nice except the fact that she did in fact leave an urban setting to venture into the deep wilds of Karn/Mror Holds. While Janis is very much (at least in her own mind) a "cultured figure of the aristocracy", she's almost country gentry really. It explains why she's so annoyingly snooty about her education in the "finest Cyran schools of exotic wizardry", and probably explains the reason she hasn't mentioned her little "most-of-my-career" dalliance with druidic teachings as anything other than an even more exotic Cyran magic. She's a bit ashamed that she's a Druid, and despite her sour disposition she probably didn't care for her likely Child of Winter mentors either. But she really hasn't been lurking in any slums much, anymore than she might have done before her retcon, and all the normal abilities of a Druid seem to still be perfectly applicable to what I imagine her lifestyle is too.

Besides, while having a brightly colored, cheerful coral snake as a familiar seems like something she might do simply to remind herself of better days, shapechanging into giant cockroaches just doesn't seem like something Janis would really do to me. She's not into horror and gloom for its own sake, and she's really not so practical that if she's given a choice between "chittery and frightening" and "fuzzy, with reasonably large fangs and claws" she's not going to sleep better with the Rugs. I imagine that when and if she starts summoning vermin they'll be varieties that I can coax an admirable, exotically beautiful color scheme from or something. I hope. Her wildshape forms might even be kind of idealized - I've been considering things like snow white owls and white harts and bunnies, "I'm a pretty princess" stuff. :uhoh:

Remember: Janis is dark and mysterious by nature, but she doesn't really want to be. It's why she's so rude with the priests, because they're fairly black and white about things. Janis doesn't want things to be black and white, because then she'd be afraid that she'd be dark indeed.

It's really kind of weird that I can always pull my characters to the couch like this I think.

Is there some other reason that Janis might want any of those substitution levels/abilities? Despite everything I just said, I suppose I could work something out in my head if you've got something specific in mind for Janis or something.

stonegod

James Heard said:
Is there some other reason that Janis might want any of those substitution levels/abilities? Despite everything I just said, I suppose I could work something out in my head if you've got something specific in mind for Janis or something.
Not trying to force anything, but wanted to give Janis the opportunity to me a more "urban" druid if that fit the concept (which I admit you are closer to than I).

Remove ads