• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. II [IC]

EvolutionKB

First Post
"A shovel? Why would I bring a shovel to dig in the dirt?" Avron looks back to the column, and then glances sideways at the wall. "Well, look at that, I did bring a spade. If you must use it, please do well to clean it off, I plan on eating later."

[sblock=StoneGod]What do I know?[/sblock]

Stormwind

First Post
Ashlyn considers the madman for a few moments, then apparently comes to some decision as she steps forward and silently picks up the spade from where it lies against the wall. Walking up to Avron, she crouches beside him and looks at the ground below the stone where he has been trying to dig. She nods and carefully begins to dig. As she does she turns to the madman and asks almost absentmindedly, "So what are we digging up here?"

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
[sblock=Evo]You know what I've told you: You suspect some relic of the St. has been buried here. You don't know about it being used for the rituals in the Tome of Strahd, however, as only the other PCs know it; but you suspect there is something of the St.'s being used to blasphemous intent here.[/sblock]The ground if soft, not solid stone, but it still requires much effort to dig---it his hard packed. After about a minute, the Ashlyn hits upon something. Avron gets overexcited at this point, and digs the rest of it out with his hands. With a a look of mad satisfaction, he holds it up to the others.

The scholar holds a reliquary box about the size of a spellbook. Its side and lids are carved with images of angelic beings, but the eyes of each are red with something sticky... almost like tacky blood. Just looking at it gives a sense of wrongness.

Marot's magical senses detect nothing emanating from the box itself, and a careful examination by Jarrith does not indicate it is trapped. But do they dare open it?

s@squ@tch

First Post
Marot the Deadly

Marot continues to watch from a small distance -- the man obviously was off his rocker, and who knows if -- or more accurately, when -- the man would snap completely.

With all of the trials and tribulations, it took almost all of the will he could muster just to keep himself together, let alone watch another madman. Marot's only consolation was that the crazed Janis finally had allowed them to remove the taint of the wolf from her, although she obviously continued to harbor resentment after the attack in the chapel.

When they went their separate ways, with Janis struggling against the vampire's bite, Marot could not say exactly that he missed her company. Perhaps this was for the best, although the Thaolist Six have failed miserably as a cohesive unit. Now, it only appeared to be the Thaolist Three..... With all of his Flame brethren, including himself, all nursing wounds and taints from this cursed land that mere rest or curative magicks were no salve for.

As the buried box was raised high once again, Marot gave it a quick inspection for any magickal auras, but having found none, became interested in it for a moment from a purely historical and religious sense.

OOC: Know (religion) +12 check on box

EvolutionKB

First Post
[sblock=Stonegod]Sorry should have been more specific. I've been busy lately. I was referring to this: And I don't suppose you saw a strange fellow on the road, on your way here- rather pale and bloodthirsty, the sort who ought not be out in the sunlight..." What else do I know of any resistance the party has faced in their time here?[/sblock]

Avron raises the relic into the air, then quickly clutches it to his chest. "I knew it was here I knew it I knew it." He scratches at the box, making a horrible screeching sound before lowering it to the ground, and searching for a clasp to open it.

knowledge planes/religion: +14/+16

pathfinderq1

First Post
Tessa watched warily as the mad scholar made his discovery. Something about the box filled her with unease- not least of which was that it seemed to remind her of the Karrnathi Blood of Vol cults. She felt the mark on her shoulder growing warm, as if the powers within her wanted to expunge this potential taint with fire- but surely that had to be her imagination...

OOC: Throw in a Knowledge-religion+13, since we don't have enough scholars yet...;)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The voices in Marot's head are unhelpful: The symbols are religious, perhaps of old Host design, but more he cannot say. [Kn: Religion 18]

Avron spends too much time lost in the dance of the intricate figures to determine more than the warlock. [Kn: Religion Nat 1 for a 17]

Tessa nods at the others assessment, but is immediately recalls a sketch of an etching from an ancient pre-Galifarian reliquary found near Rekkenmark. These types of designs were used to inter relics of the holy; in this case, if Avron is right, likely that of the lost Saint Ecaterina whose ruined monastery the group now gathered below. If her reading of the Tome was correct, whatever was in the box served as a mystical anchor for the Curse. [Kn: Religion 24+4 from Marot and Avron][sblock=Tessa & Avron]For a refresher on Ecaterina (provided to Tess and Evo by Mateusz after Tessa's journey here), refer to this post.[/sblock]Two more relics to go.

OOC: No one has opened the box yet.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Avron still giddy in delight, spouts off bits of knowledge, that if they make any sense at fail to make much of an effect to impress the others. He then opens the box. Foam collects at the corners of his mouth in anticipation.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Jarrith and Khensu watch the scene unfold, occasionally whispering to Marot about what the two caravan employees, Tessa and Avron, are doing. When Lady Ashlyn digs up the box and it is claimed by the self-professed "insane scholar", the Shadowbane pair look upon the action with interest.

Jarrith glances around the fane as the scholar prepares to open the box, and he can't help but chime in with "Whatever is in that box is one thing... but what about cleansing this fane itself? Tessa, did the tome suggest doing anything here besides just finding that box and removing it? I would think taint would need more of a holy scrubbing than just taking a box away."

Sir Khensu looks down upon his brother and snorts in amused derision at the Stalker's claim. Jarrith glances up at the shifter, and then shrugs and sighs exasperatedly. "Okay! Fine! I'm not a religious scholar, so maybe my claims and beliefs hold no water! I dunno! I'm just saying..." His voice trails off as he realizes that Khensu is probably correct.

s@squ@tch

First Post
Marot the Deadly

As the madman performs his odd dance, Marot steps forward towards him.

"Let us be clear on this box -- this is not property of the caravan, and Mateusz has no claim of ownership to it."

"When we,"
he says as he gestures to the others in the group,"Are finished with it and have cleansed it of any evil taint, then, and only then, will we even consider allowing Mateusz to examine it."

"The relic is part of this land, and should remain here, with its people."

He walks back towards Jarrith and Khensu, and says somewhat more quietly,"Any idea on how to purify this thing? I'm assuming simple washing it isn't going to do much for us -- perhaps we should take it back to the chapel in the castle?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads